Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I would start at the sparkplugs. Older plugs with condensation on them will not fire. You could remove them and dry them off if needed. You may have water getting into the sparkplug boots. You might have water in the airboxes and the foam is very wet, causing an over rich fuel condition. The next place to look is wet electrical connections. That could be in many places.
Jim

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
X2- check the condition and color of the plugs first.

Park in as dark a place as you can find, and look at the spark plug wires and all other wires with the engine running.
Watch for any sparking or current leakage from the wires.

Spraying a fine water mist from a spray bottle onto the wiring and boots may make sparking easier to see, IF it is occuring.
If the water causes the bike to run rougher or quit, that will help to isolate the exact trouble area.

If you do detect any electrical leakage, replace the wiring.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
...Any easy fixes?
Wait for it to stop?

If the bike starts fine evey other time but won't start when it is wet..you have "leak" in your electrical system somewhere. The others suggested checking the spark plugs/wire , but it could be a starter wire, the kill switch, a "hot lead" wire grounding out,.etc.

Not to mention a wet air cleaner....but you did not really say exactly what it does here...like does the motor turn over with the starter or is the bike completely dead?

How hard did it rain?.. need specifics. ;)

KM

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It rained hard and still is raining. I had to leave the bike at work. The starter motor sounds like it almost turns over, then fizzles out. I can hear it for a few seconds if I hold the button and hear a clicking somewhere down near the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
It rained hard and still is raining. I had to leave the bike at work. The starter motor sounds like it almost turns over, then fizzles out. I can hear it for a few seconds if I hold the button and hear a clicking somewhere down near the engine.
The main problem sounds like a very weak battery. The clicking sound you hear is probably the starter solenoid not getting enough juice.
Jim

·
Registered
555 Posts
definately electrical. I would check all the wiring. Yes, could be a weak battery or maybe the connectors need to be cleaned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts