Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
bike whines over alot

i just bought a 1985 vulcan 750 and noticed it whines over a lot before starting even when the bike is warmed up? this morning when i tried to start her she backfired a couple of times any suggestions?

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Merlot or Chablis? :motorcycl

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Ohh forgot to mention.... WELCOME to the forum... Congrats on the new bike... Check out the Verses, Be sure to do a spline lube, (it will save you a lot of greef in the long run, and... you found the best source of information on the planet for your bike. 7,000+ members here with loads of information on everything from doing an oil change to the complex stuff like rebuilding an engine.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Check out hard starting in the search area. Welcome to the club and a nice riding bike.
Several things can make a bike hard to start, there are many ideas and things to do to the bike to help with cold starts and hot starts. Check out the threads and then if you still have questions, fire away. We are here to help.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
If its doing this on cold or hot starts, it usually is a weak spark. Lots of potential causes for weak spark, including a battery that's being used up by the starter and not enough leftover voltage to give the plugs a hot enough spark. If the plugs are fouled, they will be weak. If your wiring to the coils has some corrosion in the connectors or the wiring is just plain weak, it will cause a weak spark too. A weak spark gives you symptoms like a rich running condition, and can cause some fierce backfiring when trying to start the bike.

If you are running with a wet cell battery, one with caps on top and a drain tube, you need to replace it with a maintenance free AGM battery. These have more cold cranking amps and can make all the difference in how a bike starts. The iridium plugs can also make a difference.

With your battery fully charged, check it's voltage with the ignition key turned on. Then with the key on, check your voltage at the coil power wire (red/yellow). The voltage should be close to the battery voltage. If it has dropped by a volt or even more, you might want to consider re-wiring the coils straight to the battery through a relay. Check the link in my sig for the procedure.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
i just bought a 1985 vulcan 750 and noticed it wines over a lot before starting even when the bike is warmed up? this morning when i tried to start her she backfired a couple of times any suggestions?
Just some FYI, not related to the starting problem....
Unless you are not in the U.S., your '85 is most likely a 700, not a 750.

As to the starting issue, I'd start with getting the battery checked too. The maintanance free battery is the way to go!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
That is a reasonable assumption to make but not an altogether correct one.

In the UK, for some reason that I simply cannot fathom, factory customs hold their 2nd hand prices extremely well and every few years when the Pound has a good day against the Dollar our dealers will hop over to your side of the pond and buy up very low mileage bikes from sunshine states at what are stupidly low prices in our currency terms and ship them back by the container load where they can rip us off royally. The result is a surprisingly large number of American(Californian) spec custom style bikes in our market. About 1 in 5 of the HDs seen for sale in these parts seem to be pre-loved imports.

In a similar fashion, as is the case right now, when the Pound is low against the Euro, the mainlanders will buy from us in droves. Which will eventually lead to American spec bikes being common there too.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the madness bunyan. See link in sig line for more info on batteries and spark plugs etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i am not from the usa i am from canada! and a newfie at that, there is a new battery put into the bike saturday but it was a regular one, i hecked out other batteries today and the parts people seem to tell me that there is not much difference in a mf battery???????

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
well i am not from the usa i am from canada! and a newfie at that, there is a new battery put into the bike saturday but it was a regular one, i hecked out other batteries today and the parts people seem to tell me that there is not much difference in a mf battery???????
And the Easter Bunny is really Santa Claus.

MF lasts longer, has more CCA, won't spill acid all over your electronics and frame (some have lost entire frame members that way), and you don't have to pull the seat to check the electrolyte level. Other than that, no difference.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Just some FYI, not related to the starting problem....
That is a reasonable assumption to make but not an altogether correct one.

Well, that is why I said... "Most Likely"
I realize there are '85 750's all over the place, probably even some in the States and probably even '85 700's in places where that year was available as a 750.
But.... around this forum, MOST '85's are 700's.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
a lot of parts houses want to sell you what they have in stock it has been my experience here in northern VA don't stock the MF battery for our bike and the parts guy will tell you there is no difference when i bought this bike i bought a flooded battery for it. new after charge it tested at 165 cca with the midtronics battery tester after reading about frame damage and stator changes caused by these batteries i bought a mf battery. I got the batteries plus brand "Extreme" i Know they come charged but i put on my automatic charger before it went into the bike when i installed it it tested at 240 cca so yes there is a huge difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I initially replaced my battery with a brand new 'regular' battery. It didn't help, and unless the battery was fully charged, had difficulty starting the bike - I often had to jump-start it.

I replaced it with a sealed type from Sears and all the starting problems have gone away. In the 3 months I've had that installed, I've not needed to charge it and don't worry about starting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts