Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first bought the bike, it would crank, and the starter would click. It wouldn't start completley but that's a separate issue. Now i got nothing, no clicking. I have tried to start it in gear with the clutch pulled, no clutch, neutral with clutch, and also no clutch. I did remove the turn signal switch, which has since been pit back on. To do so I did need to bend what looked like a cylinder type object forward a bit to get behind it. It has to bolts on opposite ends. And some wires coming off of it. This is the only thing i can think of that might be wrong. What is that part called and what might be wrinf.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Think you're looking at the starter solenoid. But you should still get a faint click from the other start relay in the Junction Box.

Assuming the battery and connections are ok, you might need the Two-Wire mod. This is what I did when that start relay in the JB failed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might be the solenoid. I can't find anything that looks exactly like it, but everything else (wires) seems to indicate it is. I didn't hear anything from the starter relay but I wasn't listening for it.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
The starter relay in th jb is small and hard to hear when it's working. The 2 wire mod bypasses the nanny switches and will energize the starter solenoid directly

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im still a newb to this, so bear with me..if the switch is bypassed, how does one start the bike? Can i just get a new solenoid?

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
The two wire mod bypasses the relay in the JB and connects the start button straight to the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The two wire mod bypasses the relay in the JB and connects the start button straight to the starter solenoid.
Gotcha, but if the solenoid is the problem, wouldn't I need a new one anyway? I haven't had a chance to listen to the relay yet. Could I have damaged it by pushing it forward? The way I did it was I undid a bolt at the top and pulled it forward so I could get behind it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe its not the solenoid. It's the thing that sits right behind the plastic shroud on the left side of the bike.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Shouldn't have hurt it.

You can test the larger solenoid and starter by jumping a wire from the battery to the small terminal on the side of the solenoid. Think the wire is white with blue stripe. (could be white/red)The black/yellow stripe is ground, so jump to the other small terminal. Make sure it's in neutral.

If the starter kicks in by jumping to that small terminal, the solenoid there is ok.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally found it! What im talking about is the ignition coil, however it seems moot at this point. My bike does have the jack stand equipped. Will that stop the bike from starting?

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Ok, I'm getting confused.

Yes, the sidestand switch can kill the spark, but the neutral switch will keep it from cranking the starter.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The part I was talking about in my initial post the ignition coil, not the solenoid. I have the sidestand in addition to the actual stand/jack. Would the bike being on the stand stop it from firing.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
The part I was talking about in my initial post the ignition coil, not the solenoid. I have the sidestand in addition to the actual stand/jack. Would the bike being on the stand stop it from firing.
No, the centerstand has no safety switched on it.

The sidestand switch kills the engine (kills spark) if you let the clutch out with the sidestand down.

The neutral switch keeps the starter from engaging if the trans is in gear and the clutch lever is not pulled.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont remember now actually, ill try it again. Where is the JB located? I may just buy a new relay and solenoid. They arent expensive. Honestly, i was probably a little overzealous trying to start the bike so i may have burnt something out

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I dont remember now actually, ill try it again. Where is the JB located? I may just buy a new relay and solenoid. They arent expensive. Honestly, i was probably a little overzealous trying to start the bike so i may have burnt something out
The JB is behind the right side panel under the seat. If your bike still has the logo it’s behind the “Vulcan 750”

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
The JB is behind the right side panel under the seat. If your bike still has the logo it’s behind the “Vulcan 750”
Left cover, behind the 750 logo.

I tested the start button on mine before I did the Two-Wire mod. Forget the wire color but it's in the mod thread.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Left cover, behind the 750 logo.

I tested the start button on mine before I did the Two-Wire mod. Forget the wire color but it's in the mod thread.
Oops sorry, I thought the fuse box was on the left. I know it’s behind a side cover lol.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Oops sorry, I thought the fuse box was on the left. I know it’s behind a side cover lol.
You're correct, the fuse box is there too. The JB and fuse box may be one unit, been a long time since I've had to look at it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts