Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
How to I check if its getting enough fuel ? Why would it run fine for then just die ?
At the bottom of each carb bowl, there's a little drain port, and on the side of the bowl there's a screw inset in the casting pointing towards the base of the drain port. Unscrew that screw to open the drain and see how much fuel, if any, comes out after the bike stalls. I recommend putting a small hose on the little nipple of the drain and direct the flow into a glass jar.

If they're empty, you're starving for fuel, which means there's either a restriction in your fuel lines (which would probably only lead to one carb being dry, not both) or the vacuum activation of the petcock is broken in some way, either a vacuum line leak, torn diaphram, or clogged valve.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Have the ignition coils been tested? Coils are known to break down under heat and still work when cold.

Have you checked for spark immediately after it stalls?
yes, and despite them working, ordered one online to be sure, interchanged them and still the issue remained, so returned the coil i ordered
At the bottom of each carb bowl, there's a little drain port, and on the side of the bowl there's a screw inset in the casting pointing towards the base of the drain port. Unscrew that screw to open the drain and see how much fuel, if any, comes out after the bike stalls. I recommend putting a small hose on the little nipple of the drain and direct the flow into a glass jar.

If they're empty, you're starving for fuel, which means there's either a restriction in your fuel lines (which would probably only lead to one carb being dry, not both) or the vacuum activation of the petcock is broken in some way, either a vacuum line leak, torn diaphram, or clogged valve.
There must be an easier way to check that, this means taking off the carb, and I have never touched a carb before, not sure what I am dealing with ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
and not sure it would be that, it stalls when its hot and wont start until it cools off. If I restart it too soon say after 15 minutes, it will stall again but sooner, in other words once it gets hot. Have decided to bring it to a mechanic, who has told me it could be costly, since even he admits, cd be anything

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
yes, and despite them working, ordered one online to be sure, interchanged them and still the issue remained, so returned the coil i ordered

There must be an easier way to check that, this means taking off the carb, and I have never touched a carb before, not sure what I am dealing with ?
The drains are easily accessible without removing the carbs. If taking it to the shop is what you're comfortable with, then that's a good move. Here's hoping it's an easy/cheap fix. I'd be interested to hear what it turns out being.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The drains are easily accessible without removing the carbs. If taking it to the shop is what you're comfortable with, then that's a good move. Here's hoping it's an easy/cheap fix. I'd be interested to hear what it turns out being.
At that point now, the shop, have to wait 2 weeks for them to see the bike though, and am sure others are curious as well, so will let u know

21 - 25 of 25 Posts