Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Got my bike running after replacing block assembly due to balancer shaft shearing off and going through the case. I am working out the bugs now. so far it has run great --

Today after riding for about 2 hours -- Bike started missing and then shut off -- I had no power for anything -- I recently installed a gel battery and was not able to veryify that it was dead -- but after going home and getting trailer put bike on trailer and towed it home -- after getting in garage hooked up battery charger and then tried to start -- bike started right up and ran great -- Checked battery for voltage after running for about 20 seconds and voltage was good -- I tried shorting out starter solenoid when out on side of highway and had no power at all -- Anyone have any ideas? Bike starting properly -- all lights working correctly -- No ideas at this time --

Thanks for any ideas that anyone might have -- I am going to start carrying a voltmeter on my bike so I can do some diagnosis in the field if or when I break down.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I have had my yammy try to quit while running due to the side stand switch. I sprayed the switch and worked it a little bit, I have had no more trouble with it.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hi all,
Got my bike running after replacing block assembly due to balancer shaft shearing off and going through the case. I am working out the bugs now. so far it has run great --

Today after riding for about 2 hours -- Bike started missing and then shut off -- I had no power for anything -- I recently installed a gel battery and was not able to veryify that it was dead -- but after going home and getting trailer put bike on trailer and towed it home -- after getting in garage hooked up battery charger and then tried to start -- bike started right up and ran great -- Checked battery for voltage after running for about 20 seconds and voltage was good -- I tried shorting out starter solenoid when out on side of highway and had no power at all -- Anyone have any ideas? Bike starting properly -- all lights working correctly -- No ideas at this time --

Thanks for any ideas that anyone might have -- I am going to start carrying a voltmeter on my bike so I can do some diagnosis in the field if or when I break down.
It sounds like it could be a loose connection in the ignition switch, or one of the safety switches. Sometimes makes connection and then gets shaken loose. I know someone else here recently posted that he had a broken connection on the contacts in his ignition switch.

Check this thread for some ideas: http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12660

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked all power and ground circuits -- No corrosion found -- Everything on bike shut down -- I wish I had my volt meter with me when it dropped out -- I am wondering if something battery related is going on -- Charging battery fully and then will recheck charging system and battery -- Anyone have any ideas about where to purchase a ignition switch?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok -- Today I checked for shorting to windings of stator - following the instructions found on this site. thanks guys for great pictures and instructions --
Found following readings for the leads from the stator at idle disconnected at bullet -- 6 volts ac -- 7 volts ac and 12 volts ac -- at 3,000 rpms -- 12 volts ac -- 13 volts ac and 24 volts ac -- I am assuming from this that I am in need of a new stator -- I am looking to order one tonight and hoping to get a couple of rides in before winter sets in. Thanks for everyones help. I will let everyone know when I get it back on road.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Ok -- Today I checked for shorting to windings of stator - following the instructions found on this site. thanks guys for great pictures and instructions --
Found following readings for the leads from the stator at idle disconnected at bullet -- 6 volts ac -- 7 volts ac and 12 volts ac -- at 3,000 rpms -- 12 volts ac -- 13 volts ac and 24 volts ac -- I am assuming from this that I am in need of a new stator -- I am looking to order one tonight and hoping to get a couple of rides in before winter sets in. Thanks for everyones help. I will let everyone know when I get it back on road.
You will be better off having tim @TPE rewind your stator, it's $66.00 + shipping.

Any aftermarket stator will come from China, even Rick's buy the cores from China and wind them here.

TPE

http://www.tpe-usa.com/

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip Lance -- I tried calling tim today and left a message -- I hope to hear from him soon. I want to get a couple of more rides in before winter setting in.

Jeff

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Thanks for the tip Lance -- I tried calling tim today and left a message -- I hope to hear from him soon. I want to get a couple of more rides in before winter setting in.

Jeff
The best thing to do is to buy his service from Ebay w/2year warranty and immediately send him your stator for the fastest service. Include the Ebay transaction, make, model and year of the bike and return address. Use the small $5.00 USPS priority mailer to send to him. He makes a couple of bucks on return shipping but it is well worth it.

He uses high quality magnet wire for the windings and Aircraft Grade "mil spec" High temperature leads. You won't be dissapointed. I have one from him and I am sending another.

TPE Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/motorcycle-stators-rebuild-service_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem29ff9dc1a1QQitemZ180382187937QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

EDIT: I just bought another of his Ebay services so there are only two left.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts