Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got a FREE 95 Vulcan. PO parked it in 2013 after his "mechanic" rebuilt the carbs and basically half way did an ear shave. He didn't re-jet or coaster, just slapped everything back together and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't run right. Well, I coastered it and rejetted it after getting the solid fuel remains out, and after maybe 3 minutes of run time, I drained the oil to find what looked like a melted Jamocha milkshake from Arby's in the crankcase. I checked the coolant level, the reservoir is empty (I'm sure it evaporated over the course of 7 years) but it looked like fresh anti-freeze under the cap. I've since filled it with oil, ran for 5 minutes, and drained again to find coffee and cream color. My question is this: should I be concerned with a blown head or jug gasket at this point? Or should I flush it again and hope for the best? I've still got a bunch of other work before it's on the road, so if this is a dead bike walking, I'd rather stop now...

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
So, I got a FREE 95 Vulcan. PO parked it in 2013 after his "mechanic" rebuilt the carbs and basically half way did an ear shave. He didn't re-jet or coaster, just slapped everything back together and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't run right. Well, I coastered it and rejetted it after getting the solid fuel remains out, and after maybe 3 minutes of run time, I drained the oil to find what looked like a melted Jamocha milkshake from Arby's in the crankcase. I checked the coolant level, the reservoir is empty (I'm sure it evaporated over the course of 7 years) but it looked like fresh anti-freeze under the cap. I've since filled it with oil, ran for 5 minutes, and drained again to find coffee and cream color. My question is this: should I be concerned with a blown head or jug gasket at this point? Or should I flush it again and hope for the best? I've still got a bunch of other work before it's on the road, so if this is a dead bike walking, I'd rather stop now...
No, probably not a head gasket.

This engine gets air entrainment of the oil during warmup which causes the oil to appear milky.

Warm it up until the temp gauge is at normal, it often takes more than a few minutes. Then look at the oil.

Wonder how many bikes have been junked because of this.

My engine does it too, and never a blown gasket

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Mine did it as well

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts