Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike sits outside, but under covered parking, so there is a chance it gets a little wet when it rains. The last 2 times we have gotten a good rain overnight, my bike runs horribly the next morning - very sluggish; backfires loudly, and not on deceleration like normal, but when accelerating or just going a constant speed; no power at all; lurches sometimes, like it is going to "catch" or something, but never does.Then, after work, when I go out and get on it, it runs perfectly.

What in the world is going on here? I mean, I have ridden motorcycles IN the rain, and they never ran this poorly. Does anyone have any idea of what may be happening here? And even more importantly, if there is some way I can avoid or remedy it?

And just to clarify a bit, it's not because it's cold - it runs fine in the winter. And it's not something in the carbs - only does this after it rains, and I run Lucas Oil injector cleaner (my preference over Seafoam) regularly.

Any advice or wisdom is greatly appreciated all :smiley_th

AZ Kev

·
Registered
802 Posts
First place I'd look would be at the spark plug boots. Thinking maybe water is pooling down near the bottom and making the spark arc to that instead of all going to the cylinder. Maybe just a good look at the wires in general.

If it were an atv, I'd say put some dielectric grease on the boots at the motor and the ignition coils.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Does your bike still have the ears? How are the filters? Moisture might be getting in this way too.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Definitely sounds like your plug wires, boots or although rare, a coil. Are they the original wires? On an 89 I imagine they probably have some hairline cracking so when they get wet, even from condensation they will wreak havoc and cause all the things you're describing. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Definitely sounds like your plug wires, boots or although rare, a coil. Are they the original wires? On an 89 I imagine they probably have some hairline cracking so when they get wet, even from condensation they will wreak havoc and cause all the things you're describing. Good luck.
x2 on the plug wires and boots

·
Registered
77 Posts
Humidity can sometimes wreak havoc on electronics. X2 on plugs, wires and coils. Hope it's an easy fix for you.

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the tips guys. I am thinking that plug wires may indeed be the culprits here, or at least worth looking at, as I am pretty sure they are they are the originals. I think the bike does stay fairly dry - mostly in fact - under the carport, but as Vulster mentioned - even just a little moisture might do it. That would also make sense as far as the bike running fine later when I get off work - because by then, everything has dried off.

My bike does still have the ears, and I am thinking it is probably a good idea to look at getting some new filters too, as I'm sure those are original as well.

I will try all that and let you all know how she runs after the next time it rains. Which, here in Phoenix, could be a VERY long time from now! Haha

Thanks again all : )

AZ Kev

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh - one more thing - by "boots", I am assuming you are all referring to the boots on the wires that actually connect to the top of the plugs, right? There aren't some separate things I need to look at...???

AZ Kev

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Oh - one more thing - by "boots", I am assuming you are all referring to the boots on the wires that actually connect to the top of the plugs, right? There aren't some separate things I need to look at...???

AZ Kev
yup, they plug right on to the spark plugs. One thought on those air cleaners. the elements can really deteriorate and if they styart falling apart your engine will be sucking that crap in. Good idea to check them out. Hope it goes smoothly for you :)

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thanks for all of the tips guys. I am thinking that plug wires may indeed be the culprits here, or at least worth looking at, as I am pretty sure they are they are the originals. I think the bike does stay fairly dry - mostly in fact - under the carport, but as Vulster mentioned - even just a little moisture might do it. That would also make sense as far as the bike running fine later when I get off work - because by then, everything has dried off.

My bike does still have the ears, and I am thinking it is probably a good idea to look at getting some new filters too, as I'm sure those are original as well.

I will try all that and let you all know how she runs after the next time it rains. Which, here in Phoenix, could be a VERY long time from now! Haha
Thanks again all : )

AZ Kev
Create your own "Phoenix rain" with a hand spray water bottle set on "mist".
Spray a fine mist around the wires, plugs, boots and coils on a running engine to see if this recreates the symptoms.

If you can do it inside a dark garage or some other fairly dark place, you should be able to see a miniature light show with arcing and/or sparking from wherever the electrical leakage is occuring.:smiley_th

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a fantastic idea Gordon - thanks for the suggestion!

AZ Kev

·
Registered
77 Posts
AZ Kev: Phx has had very high humidity the past couple of days. I got off work on Sunday at 6am and the weather report said we had 70% humidity.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Mine did the same thing right before I lost the stator and R/R. Still kicking myself that I didn't replace the bullet connectors when I could have. They were green and nasty.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Get in the other boots and walk in to a cycle shop and pick up a cover... Darn, they don't break the bank, you can probably get a workable cover for 25-$45...
Just think of all the other stuff you will keep moisture & dirt out of with a cheap cover...
The bike is 12 yrs. old treat it to a cover, it'll love you for it...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lphernan - that is very true. I see you are in Scottsdale - cool! I work near Scottsdale and Shea.

OldDog - that is some mighty sound advice my friend. I've been thinking of getting one for awhile now. Perhaps this was the "kick" I needed. It would sure help when the landscapers come too. They use those blowers when they maintain the grounds at the condos I live at and blow dust and dirt everywhere, covering my bike.

: )

AZ Kev

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You know what - something just struck me : I have washed my bike a number of times, and that has never happened after washing it. If it was moisture related, wouldn't I see that behavior after washing it? Just curious...

AZ Kev

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Try some water remover in the fuel tank. Also drain the carbs and check for water. Some times the fuel tank caps don't seal well enough.

·
Registered
77 Posts
lphernan - that is very true. I see you are in Scottsdale - cool! I work near Scottsdale and Shea....AZ Kev
I live by Horizon high school but work down in Chandler. I'm home Sunday-Tuesdays if you ever need some help with anything. Never broken into the engine (Knock on wood) but can pretty much help with everything electrical +

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
My VN used to do that after sitting outside in the moisture. It was also earshaved and had new plugs and everything. I attributed it to moisture condensation in the intake...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts