Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Bike running with dead battery

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Wickedstick 
#1 ·
Please tell me if my logic works.

So, my battery keeps going dead on my bike. I replaced it with an mf agm battery and it killed that one too. however when jumped off the bike will run 60+mph with a dead battery (dead enough to make the clicking sound and shut off the lights). In my mind this means the stator should be fine and the regulator is bad. I tested the voltage with the bike off (12.7) and at idle (12.3) and at 5000 rpm (12.9) so somewhere its not getting charge but like i said i think its the regulator since the bike will run fine once jumped off. Any people with experience please help.

#2 · (Edited)
I had a battery go out in mid ride. The volts were fine but amps were zero. I could jump it off a car battery (NEVER do this with the car engine running!) and it would run fine. When the cables were removed, the bike died.

There are several posts here about the various tests to check both the stator and R/R. Check the Vulcan Verses or do a search for stator test. I know they were posted when I was trying to figure out my problem, which was an electrucal thread called My Turn. Might find it there first. My MF AGM battery was from China and lasted about 18 months before heading south. DEKA is an excellent brand made here in the U.S.

Update: Here is the thread with the test procedures:http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14254

#4 ·
Thanks for the help guys!! I bought the bike used from a dealer and they said they would diagnose it for me free of charge but if it is the stator it will be a pretty expensive fix!!

I know there is a procedure on here for doing it yourself. Ill look that up and ask questions after they diagnose it for me!!

#6 ·
That's good news!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.