Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys & Gals,

So I'm kinda new to the bike scene, but have owned scooters and only rode solo in the past. I've been trying to hunt down riding buddies and clubs. Problem is with Clubs I'm a bit uncomfortable due to a few factors I will not go into here in the public eye.

Anyway I an idea hit me! What is there was a website that was kinda a cross between a social network and a ride buddy finder. I'm thinking of something where riders would have profiles and they could set up a ride that others could sign up to, and those rides would be searchable based on location. Each member would have a rating/review system attached to them similar to how couchsurfing.com is set up, so as a way for people to post reviews of those who hosted the ride and the host can post reviews on those that rode. This way people could get an idea of who they would be riding with and also it would be a safety messure.

I don't think the site would be too hard to build (it's what I do for a living anyway), and I already bought a domain name that I think fits the idea (LANESTAGGER.COM).

So what do you all think about this idea. I personally thought it could be a great way to find other riders outside of just joining a club, or say you are looking at doing a multi day trip and would like to have a buddy come along.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's input on their thoughts of this.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Sounds kinda cool. I'm not much for social networking but my wife loves it. I might check it out if it gets off the ground.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
sounds a lot like.......welll?.....this site! :doh: lol

yeah, we can and have done that here. but, don't get me wrong, your idea sounds good too. go for it. I know there is a site for roads in Ohio (I put a link later when I have time) that people show the route and give reviews/ratings on them.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds a lot like.......welll?.....this site! :doh: lol

yeah, we can and have done that here. but, don't get me wrong, your idea sounds good too. go for it. I know there is a site for roads in Ohio (I put a link later when I have time) that people show the route and give reviews/ratings on them.
Haha... totally not stepping on toes with what I'm thinking. Plus it's not bike specific.

Here is kinda a brief rundown of what I'm looking at feature wise.

Users would be able to "create a ride" kinda like posting an event. When doing so they would set way points using maybe the Google Maps directions tool. They would be able to set multiple points if it's a longer ride, like for a multi-day ride. They would be able to give details such as meal spots, and over night stay spots. Other users could then "search for rides" in their area and join the ride similar to an RSVP feature. If the ride is a mult-day ride or there are some stopping points along the route users could choose to join the ride at one of those points instead of the whole ride. When a user runs a search for rides within their area, and it's a multi-day ride where a stop point is in their area then it would also show up for them.

The second important feature would be where users could write reviews for each other, kinda like a vouching for that person.

Some other features I was thinking maybe to add would be

Ride News
News section allows posting of general information related to Traveling. This could be current happenings or travel warnings about particular areas or simply historical and informative data.

Single Ride Forum
To facilitate discussion on a Trip

Ride Videos
To allow those who were on the ride to post videos from the ride.

Feedback
Riders cand rate and comment the ride.

Social sharing
Allow to share the ride on twitter, facebook, and the likes

Other maybes Chat, Photo share, user blogs, user created groups

Please know the last thing I'd want to do is step on the toes of this awesome and informational forum.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
is there an echo in here? lol

like I have said...been there, done that. right here on this forum. lol and it is not "bike specific". it was/is open to any one with any bike.

but also like I said "go for it".

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is there an echo in here? lol

like I have said...been there, done that. right here on this forum. lol and it is not "bike specific". it was/is open to any one with any bike.

but also like I said "go for it".

Was it done in just a forum thread or are there features on the site that I haven't found? If there are please let me know, because it would save me a lot of work and hassle, as this project would not be a money making venture but rather a labor of love.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
here's just a few links I found;

www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Ohio_111.html

www.motorcycleroads.us/states/oh.html

www.touringbikers.com/motorcycle-roads-ohio.html

www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?c=111

www.openroadjourney.com/rides-and-roads/ohio

these will/can give some idea of what is already out there, this way you and can improve/build on these ideas. I like where you where going with this. believe me, if you are willing to put in the time, work and "hassle" (as you put it) in to it, then please do it! I think you could/would get a lot of help from right here on this forum.

·
Registered
334 Posts
www.meetup.com is what you are looking for. Create a Motorcycle Ride group and you're off. Funny - of all the groups they have, there is not one for motorcycling - and it needs one.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
www.meetup.com is what you are looking for. Create a Motorcycle Ride group and you're off. Funny - of all the groups they have, there is not one for motorcycling - and it needs one.
just checked out that site, interesting. but yeah, no motorcycle ride groups. :confused: lol

see StonePoet, I told you people would be willing to help. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
cool. but what came up (my town in Ohio) there was nothing. :doh: lol
I guess you can do what we did. Form your own group and for about $144.00 a year Meetup will help create,develope and maintain the website. It's your site but it goes thru MeetUp. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
cool. but what came up (my town in Ohio) there was nothing. :doh: lol
Any body who joins meetup can start a group within ,VRA is on meetup.com and since I am a member of VRA, I can see all kinds of groups in the area.For example you may find a shooters group or a volunteer group .There are a lot of varied interest groups.There are a lot of people who look for groups of people on there,maybe they are new to the area or just don't have a lot of friends or coworkers with the same interests.

·
Registered
35 Posts
just checked out that site, interesting. but yeah, no motorcycle ride groups. :confused: lol

see StonePoet, I told you people would be willing to help. :smiley_th
Im on meetup.com and am with Philly Riders Group. They have rides and meetups every week

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks DACatald

I used to use Meetup.com years ago for poetry event promotion, and even when I booked tours to find other poetry events in other cities.

I stopped using the site when they went to a paid membership, as I don't believe the benifits justify the cost especially in not this economy.

Also comaired to the idea of this project I have in mind, Meetup is much more simplistic. My idea is to build features into the site that are 100% focused on bikers.

For instance, most event locations only target a single location where as a ride often times has at least 2 locations. Depending on the length of the ride their might be multiple locations or even multiple days, so what if someone is looking to hop on at a different location than the start city? Well my idea is that each stop point would be able to be found when searching, so others can join closer to their area and drop off closer to their location. Maybe people might want to join in on the return part of the ride, because they can't do the whole thing and there is a point along the ride they can join.

I also want to include maps into the posted ride that displays the route and maybe even some interesting sites along the way.

I'm not talking about a basic event listing or group networking site. And I also want to be able to keep the site free for people, I'll look for other revenue streams to fund the site. I'm working on a wireframe mockup of the site to help with a visual representation.

My largest obsticals in getting this from my head to a functioning site is that some of what is requred are beyond my development skills so I'm going to have to bring in a PHP programmer on to the project to make certain elements happen. I had an informal meeting with someone about the project on Friday and is looking into that part for me.

Please know I'm am thankful for any input and am not trying to cast aside your recomendations, but what I'm thinking I really haven't yet found anything close to it. I really don't care about profiting off of the idea, I guess I just wished there was something out there like what I'm thinking that exist, as I think it's a service and tool that could become very useful for bikers.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
here's just a few links I found;

www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Ohio_111.html

www.motorcycleroads.us/states/oh.html

www.touringbikers.com/motorcycle-roads-ohio.html

www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?c=111

www.openroadjourney.com/rides-and-roads/ohio

these will/can give some idea of what is already out there, this way you and can improve/build on these ideas. I like where you where going with this. believe me, if you are willing to put in the time, work and "hassle" (as you put it) in to it, then please do it! I think you could/would get a lot of help from right here on this forum.

Oh I totally missed this Ruger, yeah this is great information as to really see what's out there and what can be done better. Thanks so much!

Sorry for so many seperate posts, I guess I should have just done a group quote. :::Think Ahead Lindsay (real name) think ahead:::

1 - 20 of 38 Posts