Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
bigwheel53
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the bike to run some errands today.She ran great and was charging when I left the house.I put about 50mi on and noticed the bike wasnt charging.I have one of those Kuryakyn voltage minder thingie.I also noted that it would charge sparaticly on and off and by the time I got home it wasnt charging at all.Do you think I need a new regulator?Whats the first thing that goes before you have real trouble?If i need a stator I will probably do one of those mods that you dont have to pull motor.Im sick.Ive been dressing this bike up constantly and its costing me and then this..

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
The absolute first thing to do is check all of your wiring. Check for loose grounds, the bullet connectors for the stator, etc.

The second thing to do is get a multimeter and do your voltage checks, as well as resistance tests (slim has a sticky in Eletrical on this I believe). This will tell you 100% if there is a problem with the components.

A third question to ask is are you using the stock regulator? If so, have you relocated it? It can get hot and cause charging issues mid-ride at the stock location. See threads on R/R relocation.

·
bigwheel53
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent relocated the regulator yet but that will be the next thing ill do.I dont know where the water temp should be on the gauge.The needle was just a tad past the icon in the middle.the fluid was good,right on the mark.It was kind of warm out early today..Someone said that something in the headlight goes wrong which effects the charging system?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I havent relocated the regulator yet but that will be the next thing ill do.I dont know where the water temp should be on the gauge.The needle was just a tad past the icon in the middle.the fluid was good,right on the mark.It was kind of warm out early today..Someone said that something in the headlight goes wrong which effects the charging system?
If your stator is failing, the headlight may stop working (it is triggered to turn on by the stator). If you have a leg of the stator fail, the headlight may not come on next time you turn on the bike.

The temperature on the engine sounds fine, it's more about the temperature of the regulator that's usually the problem. It sits right above the stock 'goats belly' on the exhaust which gets really hot. Once the regulator starts to get really warm it loses it's ability to put out good voltage. It can also lead to a full on rectifier failure.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
People report a higher charge voltage after doing the headlight relay bypass, which simply does away with the trigger wire from the stator and allows the headlight to come on as soon as the switch is turned to on. The stock setup keeps the headlight off until the stator starts putting out AC voltage.

Go through the checks and you'll know what's wrong. Denny has a sticky post above also that lays it out pretty clear. Ask questions if you get stuck, many of us have been through this already.

·
bigwheel53
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im interested in buying one of those plates to do the Tuxedo stator mod but I cant seem to locate the person that makes them.I bought an extra side cover if I have to do it myself at least I can do it from the inside and be pretty precise.I would rather buy one to save the hassle.Can anyone direct me to a source.All you guys have been great with the info.the more I learn about my vn750 the more Confidence I have in it..

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Im interested in buying one of those plates to do the Tuxedo stator mod but I cant seem to locate the person that makes them.I bought an extra side cover if I have to do it myself at least I can do it from the inside and be pretty precise.I would rather buy one to save the hassle.Can anyone direct me to a source.All you guys have been great with the info.the more I learn about my vn750 the more Confidence I have in it..
To Relocate the Regulator/Rectifier, Home Depot, Lowes, or any hardware store, buy 2" strip of 1/8" (or 3/16") aluminum and a "U" Clamp (I believe 1 1/2" fits our frames)...with a hand drill and a wrench...make /Relocate your R/R. There are a few threads / pics available as a guide.

Note: Tuxedo Mod is a "Stator Install Mod"...different & more complex/time consuming than Relocate R/R. The Mod plate is manufactured and sold by "Gextreme".

:smiley_th

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
People report a higher charge voltage after doing the headlight relay bypass, which simply does away with the trigger wire from the stator and allows the headlight to come on as soon as the switch is turned to on. The stock setup keeps the headlight off until the stator starts putting out AC voltage.QUOTE]

I am not sure I ever heard about it putting out a higher charge rate.

If anything, it would drain the battery right when you need it...while you are cranking the starter because the headlight is already turned on.

This mod is typically done to bypass the failed relay in the junction box.

HERE is the link for the Regulator Rectifier relocation procedure. I used a strip of aluminum bar and slipped one end between the left pg mount and the frame rather than use a clamp to the frame on mine.

The link to get the Tuxedo Mod Plate is: http://www.gcextreme.com/index.php/custom-fabrication-motorcycles-c-18_41

1 - 8 of 8 Posts