Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it common for a 1986 750 to get really hot w/o the fan on? I pretty much have to have it on at all times when stopped. :doh:

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Mine hardly ever comes on unless it's 80+ outside.

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
Even when it's hot, mine only comes on when the bike isn't moving.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Temps are back in the 90's again here. Temp guage runs just over the halfway point, maybe a tad higher when I'm stopped. Once I get moving on the highway or the open back roads, I can cool it back down. ;)

Fan has never had to constantly run though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi just have a 1993 vulcan and in town mine gets about 1/2 to 3/4 up on the temp gauge I am wondering too if that too hot if I more info on it I'll send it on.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
When mine gets up to half I can hear the water gurgling and vapor hissing when I turn it off :-/

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts

·
Noob.
69 Posts
Today I just found out that my fan is completely broken. It melted somehow and just came off the motor, so the motor was spinning but no fan, and my bike was pretty close to over heating when stopped. You sure your fan blades are actually spinning?

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've seen mine at the 3/4 mark a few times. Doesn't help that it's 100º outside already.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I've seen mine at the 3/4 mark a few times. Doesn't help that it's 100º outside already.
Mine too... can you hear the coolant gurgling and/or steam hissing when you park it? Just wondering if I should do something drastic immediately about the cooling system before I keep riding.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Only thing I hear when it's that hot is the fan running when I shut the motor off. Even then, it only runs for less than a minute. No gurgling or hissing noises ever.

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Another fan issue/question

I have an issue related to this, thought I would hop on this thread (forgive my intrusion) : I am having an issue where the fan is running when I turn the bike off, and most of the times, it runs for about 20-30 seconds, then shuts off.

But every now and then - like last night, for example - it just keeps running and running, eventually killing the battery. I found the electrical connection, and I can just unplug it when I get off the bike if needed. But I am wondering what could cause this?

I tried someone's previous advice, and disconnected the wire that connects to the sensor at the bottom, and the fan still ran afterwards. Does anyone have any experience with this issue, or have any ideas?

To adress others posts here, my temp gauge can get up to halfway when riding in traffic or on the freeway when it's warm outside, but I have never seen my above halfway. And as I said - typically, when it gets about 1/3 of the way up, the fan will kick in for about 30 seconds when I turn it off - except for sometimes, when it doesn't stop running at all.

AZ Kev

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
hmm I guess I need to look at my cooling system then...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
AZ Kev`s quote
But every now and then - like last night, for example - it just keeps running and running, eventually killing the battery. I found the electrical connection, and I can just unplug it when I get off the bike if needed. But I am wondering what could cause this?

I tried someone's previous advice, and disconnected the wire that connects to the sensor at the bottom, and the fan still ran afterwards.
Kevin are you saying you uplugged the wire from the thermo sensor cooling fan switch on the lower left side of the radiator, and the fan kept running?

That is the ground wire for the fan and should shut it off.:confused:
Any chance that wire is shorted out against another wire or the frame?

There is a two wire connector (blue and black/yellow wires) near the fan, but I don`t know if it can be reached w/o taking the rad off.

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Hey Gordon,

Ok, turns out, I am a doofus : the wire I was disconnecting was not the fan ground wire at all, but the wire to the oil pressure sensor - d'oh! Lol. But hey, at least I learned something new, right?

There is a 2 wire connector that comes out on the left side, just under the fan, and for now I am just unplugging it when the fan won't shut off. Then, when I get back on to ride again, I just plug it back in. It is very easy to reach, so it's not a huge deal.

So at this point, I am wondering - what would cause the fan to keep running? A faulty fan switch? Maybe that thermo sensor you are talking about?

Thanks -

AZ Kev

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
My fan is wired to run with the switch turned to the "on" position. I think it's good on this climate and it doesn't lower the voltage considerably, so I have no charging problems. This also means that it doesn't stay on after I turn off the bike. Although sometimes, when it's hot, I leave the switch on while I take off my helmet and close the gate and open the house door and stuff just to let it cool down a little bit.

·
Noob.
69 Posts
Here's a better than OEM replacement blade: http://muzzys.com/fans.html
that could come in handy. I drilled through the fan and the disc that goes on the motor and tied the fan to the disc with wire, then siliconed the **** out of it with high temp ultra black its pretty stout, but now my fan isnt turning on, which is weird because I jumped the fan with a hotbox, and it worked, but its not turning on when I plug it into the harness. When I took the radiator out, I didnt see where the open end on the ground wire came from, so I think thats my issue...I dont have a proper ground. Ive tried all sorts of spots to ground it too, and my fan just aint kickin' on, which is also weird because it worked fine yesterday. Just didnt have and blades, haha. Sorry to takeover the thread, but I figure...why make another one since now its apparently an electrical issue...Now...anyone know how the ground is supposed to be set up?

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
A while back, there was lengthy discussions about adding a fan blade that had steeper pitch to move more air. One of the points made was, since our bikes have traditionally weaker charging and electrical systems (stator failures), that a fan blade that moves more air will pull more amperage. I tend to agree with that theory, but I guess in the end, we have to weigh out which is worse- excess heat or increased amperage pull.

Others in here have had success with adding Water Wetter to our coolant. It can be purchased at local auto parts stores and would seem to be a little less intrusive than changing out the fan.

This thread always seems to pop up in summer heat. None of us are immune.. :(

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Since you mentioned the water wetter... how much of it should be used for the bike? I see them sold in 12Oz bottles... was wondering if that's all we need or if we need a 50/50 mixture like anti-freeze or something similar.

Also, are you just supposed to use tap water plus water wetter, or something else? Don't care about freezing temps, just heat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts