Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
Here's the issue. bought the bike and have been dealing with it dying after 2 miles when test driving it. Took it out to test her and she made it one lap (3/4mile) so I left her running once I got back and checked the battery she was sitting at 13.5v. Went for another lap(3/4mile) and she felt tired going back and she died in the driveway. Checked the battery and she was at 12.5v.
Replaced the stator.
replaced the r/r and repositioned to side of bike.
replaced the ignition coils.
let it sit over night with Seafoam. Replaced The gas with new gas.
recharged the battery to full every time I test the bike.
Ive done tests with the multimeter on battery and stator and r/r and its fine.
I cannot diagnose why she keeps dying. my thermostat water temp gauge plug is on order since mine is missing the nipple to connect to the yellow wire(I don't think this is the problem that causes her to die). Any help would be amazing.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Open then close the gas cap when it dies and try to start it. Listen for a vacuum sound when you first open the cap.

Just thinking POOGS or some other fuel issue. Fuel lines run downhill to the carbs?

12.5v not running is ok, not a full charge, but ok.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the ring off the gas cap to keep it open to prevent that even though it makes a noise. I got the radiator plug water sensor today and put that on and connected the yellow wire to it which was not connected before and it seemed to continue to keep a charge and run after my two lap. Do you think that could have caused it. Also my peacock is a Manuel one now so I blocked off the vacuum hose on both sides of the carbs.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If I ever get a peacock, I'm going to have to name it Manuel.
Spockster has a great eye for diagnosing problems. Vacuum in the gas tank was probably the only issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha *petcock. You know what I meant. But I would name it Larry. Anyways. The gas tank wasn’t the issue since it’s been giving me those problems while riding with the cap lose.
Or maybe name it blue.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Oh, I thought the issue went away after removing the gasket on your gas cap.
Weird.
That yellow wire has voltage to it, but if it's hanging (and not sitting on the frame causing a short to ground) that shouldn't have done anything except deactivate your dash temperature gauge.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
The temp gauge test says to only ground that yellow wire for a second to see if the needle will swing to “H” then to disconnect it from ground or it could burn out the guage. I don’t think that would ground out the bike though. Just that circuit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gents,
Here's the issue. bought the bike and have been dealing with it dying after 2 miles when test driving it. Took it out to test her and she made it one lap (3/4mile) so I left her running once I got back and checked the battery she was sitting at 13.5v. Went for another lap(3/4mile) and she felt tired going back and she died in the driveway. Checked the battery and she was at 12.5v.
Replaced the stator.
replaced the r/r and repositioned to side of bike.
replaced the ignition coils.
let it sit over night with Seafoam. Replaced The gas with new gas.
recharged the battery to full every time I test the bike.
Ive done tests with the multimeter on battery and stator and r/r and its fine.
I cannot diagnose why she keeps dying. my thermostat water temp gauge plug is on order since mine is missing the nipple to connect to the yellow wire(I don't think this is the problem that causes her to die). Any help would be amazing.
Take the seat off, right behind the battery is a round cylinder with vac hoses and if you bypass that by taking the vac lines off the bike will run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts