Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit the starter, heard a clunk and the bike was dead. Voltmeter shows 12.8 volts when the key is off, drops to 0.0 when the key is on. Nothing electrical works - no lights, horn, starter, anything. What could be wrong? Hope it's not the stator, don't want to pay $1k in shop fees (and I don't have the skill to drop the engine myself).

Well... at least I had a good ride before it died.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Check your ground wire and make sure that's on good and tight. If it were your stator, your battery wouldn't have a charge - and the votage drop with the key in the ignition seems like a short.

·
rider
213 Posts
eq, my guess would be this is something simple and you'll be riding again in no time. there could be a problem with the ignition switch. i had problems with the switch on my bike... i'd be riding down the highway and all of a sudden the bike would just quit... the gauges and voltmeter would zero, the lights would die... and as soon as i jiggled the key in the switch, everything would come back alive. i tried cleaning the switch (i posted a couple pics in the maintenance section of this site), but after that didn't solve the problem i bought and installed a new one and haven't had the problem since.

good luck.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
make sure your battery cables are tight - don't use a screwdriver to do it either... been there done that :(

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, some good news. Got it to the shop (towing covered by insurance, yay), they ran diagnostics, looks like the only problem is a bad battery. And, since I got the battery at Batteries Plus, there is a 1-year warranty, so I can get the battery replaced for free. Yes, it's a maintenance-free battery.

Bike's electrical system is good. So I should be up and running this weekend! Woots! :pepper:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Good to hear it is something simple.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Well, some good news. Got it to the shop (towing covered by insurance, yay), they ran diagnostics, looks like the only problem is a bad battery. And, since I got the battery at Batteries Plus, there is a 1-year warranty, so I can get the battery replaced for free. Yes, it's a maintenance-free battery.

Bike's electrical system is good. So I should be up and running this weekend! Woots! :pepper:
Bet finding that out made ya feel alot better.
Enjoy the weekend, I know I will !!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Good deal Piro, glad to hear it wasn't time consuming or expensive!! Hope the weather is beautiful for you!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Glad to here your problem was covered by insurance/warranties the whole way eq, but you raised some other questions for me. : )

and as soon as i jiggled the key in the switch, everything would come back alive. i tried cleaning the switch (i posted a couple pics in the maintenance section of this site), but after that didn't solve the problem i bought and installed a new one and haven't had the problem since.
Can you elaborate a bit?

My bike recently started acting similarly. Occasional when i try to start her up the push button doesn't react at all, lights are on, electrical is there, but no start. Fiddle with the key and she'll turn over.

Wondering if i should blame this on the ignition, starter or look elsewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts