Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bad time on the Highway. I was riding home and had the front Cylender drop out like it ran out of gas. I had over 1/2 tank I switched to reserve and lost the rear Cylender. I was doing 70 MPH in the center lane during rushhour in Chicago. Not a good thing to hapen and pucker factor is high.
When I pulled over I looked for loose hoses found nothing. Switched from reserve to on, tried to crank it and she fired after a couple of cranks.:smiley_th
Rode the rest of the way home 40 mils and no problem.
I have a 2001 VN 750 with 12K miles.
Any ideas would be great

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
My '99 has done that a few times.

It seemed like it did it most when the battery was low on fluid. So I'd say that would be one thing to check.

Did you happen to notice a hissing sound from the fuel cap at all ? Might be a plugged vent.

One other thing that wouldn't hurt to do is clean the air filters.

Good luck with whatever ya do, and (I was only there once, but know how the traffic is) be careful on them Chicago roads !!

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Nearly exactly the same thing happened to me when I bought my wife's bike and rode it ~70mi home. The only difference was that I am in the Tacoma area and I didn't pull over. I just stayed upright, clutch engaged and wound the throttle all the way out. Engine pulled me down to about 45mph then BLAP! I was doing 75.

I chalked it up to garbage in the tank. Ran a can of Seafoam through, at recommended volumes, and have gone 600 miles since with no problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chronic problem?

The same thing happens to me too often. In my case, it is usually when the bike is warm and doing around 60. It acts like it in't getting fuel (or perhaps the mix is *too* rich). I have not been able to keep it running, but always wind up pulled over. Let it sit for a couple of minutes, and away we go.

I have heard hissing from the tank, but opening the cap doesn't seem to be an immediate fix. I still have to sit for a couple of minutes.

I wonder if it could be a stuck float in a carb or similar. I was wanting to try some gum-out, but not sure where to put it.

If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Sounds like you might be suffering from vapor lock.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
QUOTE:
"I was wanting to try some gum-out, ... "
--------------------------------------

Many here use "SeaFoam".
I haven't myself yet, but someone here could probably leave a few helpful words on how best to use it.

When mine does it, I have tried opening the cap, but it usually doen't make a sound.
It seems like if I can catch it at the first sign of any spudder, flip to reserve,
cruise for a bit, then flip it back over, everythings fine. :confused:
I'm kinda used to doin' that now.:rolleyes:

Wouldn't hurt if I'd check the petcock, just haven't got 'round to it.:zzz:

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I drained the carbs and got a little dirt, not to bad. Replaced the Battory with a Maint, free (I know should have done it before). Adding a Volt gage today to watch the electrical system.
Hope that will do, hasent happend sence and put on over 500 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok,
Seems to be a pretty common thing. My bike does it, and it's an '05 with 4300 on it. Exactly what is seafoam? Some sort of fuel system treatment?

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
SeaFoam, magic in a can!
Small Engine Applications -

Cleans injectors
Adds lubricity
Anti-gel
Cleans crankcase
Restores power
Removes moisture
Cleans carbon
Stabilizes fuel
Diesel fuel conditioner
Works and Performs Instantly
Stabilizes fuel
Cleans carburetor
Cleans carbon
Removes moisture
Assures fast starts
Frees sticky rings
Restores power
Upper cylinder lube
Smooths rough idle
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTech.htm

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yeah, I think you buy it at NAPA, though I'm not sure. I seem to recall its only at one brand of auto store. Supposedly, you can pour it in your fuel tank, pour it into your carbs, or pour it into your oil tank. I had a problem where the bike began to bog down at low RPMs and high throttle settings. I tried some seafoam in the fuel tank and it really seemed to improve the performance, though it might have just been me, as the real cause of the problem was a loose carb boot to one of the carbs.

I do however beleive in those "pour in your tank and clean the carb" products in general though. I had a moped that had sat for a couple of months with fuel in the tank. It ran pretty badly until some carb cleaner was poured into the tank. Seafoam is supposed to be even better and do more.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
It USE TO be only available at NAPA and Marinas. However as others have discovered how well it works, it is also available at..
Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, Bumper to Bumper, CarQuest and various other Auto Parts stores

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
copied this from chopperbobby's website

One more thing which could be a problem is the ignition switch. Some of us (including myself) have bikes that have or have had a "flakey" ignition switch. Before I replaced my switch the engine would be killed each time I turned the handlebars hard right. And one time the main 30 amp fuse operated when I turned the bars hard left. And a faulty switch will often display symptoms associated with fuel problems. In my case the engine would act as though it was running out of gas, but it turned out to be the ignition switch.

http://chopperbobby.com

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
As an aside, I had the ignition switch problem myself. Took mine apart and cleaned it out, no problems afterwards. Not sure if CC's problem sounds like this though.

Also, I bought my Seafoam at PepBoys. :)

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I havent had a problem sence, it was funny when it did happen. The front cylender cut out first, then about 30 seconds later the rear went out. Don't think the Ignition would do this, it would kill bolth cylenders at the same time.
Someone was talking about vacume not keeping petcock open to allow enough fuel to flow at high speed. I have plugged the vacume line on the carb after the marbiling and removed the valve and all the hoses. Don;t know if that is what did it or not, I also replaced the Bat with a Maint free and relocated the R/R with Bulldogs bracket. Very easy to do .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts