Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a 4 hour ride yesterday and about 2.5 hours in, my bike died at a stop sign in first with the clutch in. When I went to start the bike, no battery. I was immediately able to bump start it and continue for another hour and a half. When I got home, I had over 13V on the battery. What gives? Battery is 2 years old but hasn't given me any issues at all, has consistently been able to hold over 12.6V, and doesn't drop down low on startup

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Loose connection or damaged wire somewhere possibly? Maybe temperature related. When my stator died last summer I was able to jump start it once, but after that it would die as soon as the idle went under 2K so I had to sit at the stop lights and rev it and even like that I only got about 20 mins worth of riding to get me home. So I wouldn’t think it was the stator based on what you’re describing

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a lot of connection clean up recently but I'll double check the battery connections. I'm willing to chalk it up to a 1 off sort of thing but that's mostly because I recently did a stator replacement and pickup coil repair and am happy with it again

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've got to agree with mmart. Dying at a stop indicates no battery, and being able to keep it going at higher RPMs indicates your charging system is still good. Bad battery terminal or ground connection to frame seem to be the likely culprits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts