Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ratbiker
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone found a larger capacity tank from another bike that's a fit (or close fit) on the VN750?

I get around 100-105 before I hit reserve and it's a pain. I don't do much freeway riding 'cos where's the fun in that. :D I do also like blowing across intersections when the light goes green which probably doesn't help. I removed the emissions stuff (ear shave), Cobra pipes, rejetted, new piston rings, etc but nothing changed the mpg. Think I may try moving up from 87 octane to see if that helps but a bigger tank would be nice.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Anyone found a larger capacity tank from another bike that's a fit (or close fit) on the VN750?

I get around 100-105 before I hit reserve and it's a pain. I don't do much freeway riding 'cos where's the fun in that. :D I do also like blowing across intersections when the light goes green which probably doesn't help. I removed the emissions stuff (ear shave), Cobra pipes, rejetted, new piston rings, etc but nothing changed the mpg. Think I may try moving up from 87 octane to see if that helps but a bigger tank would be nice.
I don't think changing the octane will help with more mileage.
As for the mileage you are getting?...?...? I get 150+ before hitting reserve. 160+ on my last longer ride.
You didn't mention if you have ya changed the plugs. That might help, if ya didn't.
Also, I believe doing the ear shave drops the mileage some.
I think the only larger tank would be a custom one, although, I think I remember someone (from the Yahoo group maybe) putting a Honda or Hardley tank on theirs, but some mods were needed to make it fit.

Are you just going by the fuel gage for switching to reserve??

·
Ratbiker
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't changed the plugs in a while but I did when I did the engine repairs and it made no difference. I'm going by the bike actually spluttering for lack of fuel.

I checked the forums and I see varying advice on octane. One piece quoted from another site suggested that upping the octane will increase mpg to a point, beyond which it won't help. I figure I'll try a before and after.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Try changeing the plugs to a dual post, and an octane booster would be better than upping the grade of gasoline, also it would be cheaper as you can get 3 to 4 uses out of the bottle (per tank that is) also have you ran any cleaner thru the system lately? I would also use carb cleaner on the external carb areas, and check your air filters! Good Luck, ps. jireh cycles.com has a mustang tank 4 gallon that supposedly fits our bikes.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm thinking of having a welder buddy of mine either widen my tank or weld the tunnel out of mine into a 5 or 6 gallon fatbob style tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts