Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My VN750 has 33K miles on it and is a 1989 which tells me at some point it had sat a long time.
When i got it the tires were less than 1 season old, it had new spark plugs and the driveshaft redone.
They also cleaned and synced the carbs which also tells me it probably had been sitting.

The clutch is worn and at the last adjustment, there are coolant leaks at the base gaskets and someone put black ATV on one of the coolant inlet pipes
where it goes into the head.
It does not have the stator mod done so the cover is not cut up with a plate over it, everything on the bike is OEM with no mods at all.

Near end of October the engine will be coming out and i will be replacing all of the gaskets and coolant pipe O rings.
I will also be replacing the thermostat, putting i a new stator since it will be right there, I will be replacing the clutch pack and springs.
I will be putting in a new rectifier and keeping the original as a spare.

While the engine is out i will be buffing and polishing the tank and fenders, polishing all of the chrome and aluminum, cleaning the frame and touching up any spots that need paint if any.
Come spring time it will look and ride great and should last me a long time.

I am not doing any mods which means the vacuum system will stay, the original air filters will stay and the exhaust will stay in it's OEM form.
I want the keep the bike all original since it is 31 years old, who knows i might even be able to put it in some antique shows if i get it looking good enough.

Attachments

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Sounds like you have a plan! Since you're doing this (I am assuming that YOU are doing this.) you've got some mechanical experience so this will be a fun project.

Good luck to you. I enjoy hearing of another 750 born again! Keep us in the loop as to your progress please.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you have a plan! Since you're doing this (I am assuming that YOU are doing this.) you've got some mechanical experience so this will be a fun project.

Good luck to you. I enjoy hearing of another 750 born again! Keep us in the loop as to your progress please.
I am doing all of the work, it would cost way too much if a shop did it.
One reason I took this old bike is because i knew i could do the work to make it into something nice.

I will be posting pics of the progress once i get started on it.
It is still currently being used until it gets too cold.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts