so as much as I love my 86 Vulcan 750 It has been a headache lately. I was having electrical problems blowing headlights and main fuses and I inspected my R&R and it was cooked just by looking at it and there was burn marks on the connector. So I replaced it with a cheap replacement off of Ebay (which I know was a bad choice)and I relocated it for more air flow, and overall the bike ran better than ever and it quit having problems for about a month. I noticed one night an electrical smell. I determined it was the New R&R and it was hot enough to burn my finger. Now I know it is supposed to release heat (I think that is how it functions) hwoever it was excessivley hot. Also It doesnt get warm anymore. So anyway a little while after that I went to start my bike and the battery was dead. I was on an incline so I bump started it with the clutch it ran a little bit and died. So to make a long story short The bike would only run as long as the battery had juice. So I thought it had to be a dead stator. So I took on the long surgical process of replacing the vulcan stator (opted to not do the tuxedo mod) and got it back together and it runs but I have the same problem. It wont charge the battery and it will only run off the battery. So my guess is its the cheap r&r i put in is junk and I should replace with a better one, or I had the dumb luck of getting a faulty new stator. Or maybe another problem. So please send some input because Im dumbfounded. Thanks guys. This forum hasnt failed me yet.