Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weekend of February 18 - 21 there was a gathering of Vulcan owners in New Orleans. There were twelve of us in attendance: Mike, Dave, Rita (Beadhoer), Dianna, Star, Rachel, Curby, Jim, Hoot, Cory, Steve (Fallguy), and myself (Wall). We came from Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, Tennessee, and Georgia to be able to ride together. Some trailered their bikes or carried them on the backs of their vehicles, while others had a long ride in the saddle just to get there. Once we all got there, riding was the order of the day.

A little after 4:00 in the afternoon on Friday, Mike led the first eight arrivals on a ride from our gathering place (La Quinta Inn, Veterans Highway) down to an excellent restaurant known as Dockside. After stuffing ourselves with oysters, steaks, po-boys, and other great New Orleans cuisine we headed back to the La Quinta. Mike then led seven of us on a 30-mile night ride along the lakefront, down to the French Quarter, back along Canal Street, and finally back to our motel. Some of the people we passed noticed there were ladies driving some of the bikes, which got us a little extra attention along the way. I ordinarily do not care to ride much at night, but this was a really fun ride.

Saturday morning, twelve bikers on twelve bikes cranked their engines at 8:00 AM and headed down the road together for a large breakfast at the Peppermill restaurant. After stuffing ourselves and drinking who knows how many gallons of coffee, Mike lead us out onto the highway where we headed North across the 27 mile long Lake Ponchatrain bridge with lots of blue skies and sunshine.

After crossing the lake, we began cruising through the backwoods roads of Eastern Louisiana. When we got near Mississippi, Dave took over as leader and guided us around the roads in the vicinity of his home in Picayune. Cory was having some electrical problems with her bike, so Dave led us to his house where he provided a used battery as a cure for Cory's problem. We stopped for a big lunch at a little seafood restaurant called Don's in Picayune.

After lunch we started cruising south again, but Cory was still having engine problems. A brief stop and some tape on one of her fuel lines made the problem go away enough to be manageable. We again crossed part of Lake Ponchatrain on US 11. We followed that until we got to US 90, where we headed east again. We had a nice stop at Fort Pike along the way, marred only by one of the parked bikes going down in the parking area. Fortunately there were no injuries and no noticeable damage.

We followed US 90 back into Mississippi again. Minor problems with one of the bikes resulted in another unplanned stop. We eventually arrived on the beach at Lakeshore around dusk. We followed the beach all the way up to Bay Saint Louis (with another unplanned stop in Waveland). In Bay Saint Louis, we stopped (as planned) for supper at The Dock of the Bay restaurant. However, since most of the group was still full from lunch, we only had coffee and root beer while relaxing in the cool night wind on the outside deck overlooking the bay.

When we left the Dock of the Bay to make the 65 mile ride back to the Big Easy it was completely dark and there was a lot of traffic to contend with on both US 90 and I-10. Mike did an admirable job of leading our string of 12 bikes through all of that to get everyone safely back to the La Quinta. By the time we arrived there around 9:00 in the evening, we had clocked more than 300 miles riding that day.

On Sunday, Mike had a ride planned around some other Louisiana roads. Unfortunately, I was unable to participate in that ride, as I left the gathering on Sunday morning. I had a 515 mile trip to my home in Georgia, and I wanted to make sure I had decent weather for that journey. The weather held out for me the whole way and found only traces of rain on the road beginning around 10 miles from my house. I managed to roll into my driveway just before dark with over 1300 additional miles on the odometer from when I had started a few days earlier.

My special thanks go out to the following:

Mike - for planning, organizing, promoting, and leading most of the riding.

Dave - for leading the Mississippi portion of the Saturday ride and providing technical expertise and parts when needed.

Hoot - for making sure that no one was left behind.

Rita - for encouraging people to come to the gathering and for being thoughtful enough to give Florida pins to everyone.

Dianna - for providing me and some others with ride bells.
Everyone else - for being good riding companions, patient and ready to help in whatever way he or she could to make the experience good for everyone.

It was a really great trip! I thoroughly enjoyed meeting, riding, and hanging out with everyone there. It was very much like an enjoyable family reunion. I hope to participate in one of these again in the future.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Great write-up Wall :)
I ended up with 1502 miles for the weekend and also managed to get home with no rain.
Looking forward to riding with you and many others again!

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hoot, that was great! I had wondered how the video came out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts