Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm working on a bicycle rack for my VN900. When I figure it out I'll do one for my VN750. I found a good deal on Ebay about four months ago on a 2 x 2 bicycle rack for your motorcycle...well part of a bicycle rack minus brackets, bolts and fittings for my bike.

Just mocking things up before painting. The brakets had holes in them. I tried to find brackets without them but no luck.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I filled holes with epoxy sanded and painted. I tried my best to find castle nuts M8 x 1.25 with specific characteristics but realized I'd have to deal with a compnay in the UK. I have so little room on the bolt that the nut and bolt end flush. So, I decided to just slather the bolt with locktite and drill a hole through the nut and bolt. I then put a steel pin through the hole. I'm guessing I don't have to worry about that bolt coming off anytime soon.

Anyhow, the rack works but needs some additional mods to make it more secure.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Does the weight distribution cause any problems with handling? I know today's bikes are extremely light but the center of gravity may get changed a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the weight distribution cause any problems with handling? I know today's bikes are extremely light but the center of gravity may get changed a bit.
a lot lot less than having a passenger. The manufacturer insists this isn't an issue and I see no difference. Now that being said, you can lift the bike with two fingers. I'm thinking this fact helps a whole lot.

I also took the passenger boards off my 900. I absolutely hate 2 up. So, I won't have to contend with that sack of potatoes floating around behind me anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
a lot lot less than having a passenger. The manufacturer insists this isn't an issue and I see no difference. Now that being said, you can lift the bike with two fingers. I'm thinking this fact helps a whole lot.

I also took the passenger boards off my 900. I absolutely hate 2 up. So, I won't have to contend with that sack of potatoes floating around behind me anymore.
JMO but you are creating more wind resistance, more wind turbulence, and a higher center of gravity all behind the center axis of the bike. It's your bike but be careful.

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
I don't see any issues wind or weight wise. If the bike weighs 20 pounds..most of that weight is over the back support..so not much different than having a luggage rack or tail case with the same weight in it. Not a lot of surface area on a bicycle ...so I'd wager wind resistance is less than a passenger...side winds too have very little surface area to push on. A large windshield would be more problematic.
It's a big heavy bike to start with...large bumps could put some strain on the structure....

My only fear would be getting rear ended by some ass in a van and having that bike shoved into my spine.....:(

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see any issues wind or weight wise. If the bike weighs 20 pounds..most of that weight is over the back support..so not much different than having a luggage rack or tail case with the same weight in it. Not a lot of surface area on a bicycle ...so I'd wager wind resistance is less than a passenger...side winds too have very little surface area to push on. A large windshield would be more problematic.
It's a big heavy bike to start with...large bumps could put some strain on the structure....

My only fear would be getting rear ended by some ass in a van and having that bike shoved into my spine.....:(
Points well taken. The bike weighs less than 10 pounds and can be lifted with two fingers. If anyone cares there are a number of video on youtube with bikes weighing much less than mine on back dirt roads. No problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts