Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is no fool proof way other than maybe Lo-Jack, (btw, how much does that cost?) But what other best options are there for keeping the bike locked up?

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I've used a few different devices in the past. I really don't use anything anymore, but the biggest problem was carrying around the device. I ended up settling on a disc lock. It is a small, easy to carry, device that fits onto the disc brake. The key is to remember that it is on, before riding away!! The one I had came with a coil that you attached to the handlebar as a reminder. It was bright yellow. I always figured that as long as you were using something, a would be thief would move to the next bike that didn't hve anything. Ultimately, if someone really wants to steal the bike, the best you can hope for is to slow them down a little. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
140 Posts
my bud has a hidden deadman switch.

in addition to the ignition switch he has a switch that is under the seat that wont let the bike run without being switched on.

it wont keep someone from rolling your bike onto a trailer, but screwdrivering the ignition should fail.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
A large hardened steel chain (3/8" minimum linq thickness) with a big ass Master Lock. Chain through the frame to a non movable object like a tree or telephone pole. Make sure to run the chain in such a way that it can not touch the ground, as this will discourge anyone trying to use the big bolt cutters (with on handle on the ground and using their full weight on the other)

Add to this a motion alarm , and that is about as good as you can get other than hiring a sniper to guard the bike 24-7.

(Do make sure you have theft insurance at replacemant cost)

KM

·
Louder IS better!
289 Posts
I had Lojack installed on mine when i bought it, it cost me like $800

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
I've read that, while certainly not as bulletproof as the above suggestions, for overnite use a bike cover (especially with a locked cable thru it) will also discourage theft.

Yet another reason to keep your "baby" covered when left outside and not in use for any real length of time.

Also: since our bike is not a sport bike...or a Harley...or an Italian stallion (Ducati, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi)...I would think the odds of a VN750 being stolen (versus other potential targets) are on the lower end of the scale.....comments?

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I saw a guy jump on his a bike, (a Harley no less), and try to ride away without removing the disc brake lock...he didn't get a foot I don't think before he was spitting gravel, dirt, and maybe a tooth or two. I felt bad for him.....until he admitted it wasn't the first time....

Most things just help keep honest people honest. If somebody wants it, they're gonna get it. Personally I'm not to hip on alarms, I don't know about anybody else, but around here, nobody gives a second look when an auto alarm is going off.

Do what feels best, and leave the rest. ;)

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
There is a weak system that comes with the bike, don't seem to be too much, and I don't use it, but probably would under certain conditions, hopefully my insurance will take care of the better part of the loss... I guess the worst place I leave my bike is in the china-mart parking lot, but not often...
But I hope they don't get caught stealing my bike, remember the 340PD .357 mag. & the 125 Gr. Jacketed hollow points, well I hate a theif, and they do have a little stopping power, not as much as a .44 mag. but enough...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a 5/8" galvanized chain and same lock. It would take forever for someone to cut it. If you lock it on the belly stand they would have one Heck of a time taking it. Try it and see.

The Wrecker driver who takes cars and such from our lot tried to take mine since I have no windshield for the sticker, when I noticed and confronted him he said he had tried for almost an hour to cut the chain and couldn't. He even tried the lock. So I still have it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
When you come out those glass doors with guns a blazing, just don't shoot the bike. :)

The bad is if locked up outside they can still steal parts off of it. It really needs to be inside...out of sight. Even with everything else, a locked cover would help some. If they don't see your custom seat they may not want it as bad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 5/8" galvanized chain and same lock. It would take forever for someone to cut it. If you lock it on the belly stand they would have one Heck of a time taking it. Try it and see.

The Wrecker driver who takes cars and such from our lot tried to take mine since I have no windshield for the sticker, when I noticed and confronted him he said he had tried for almost an hour to cut the chain and couldn't. He even tried the lock. So I still have it.
Nice advice there. I will heed this one. At work, I have no worries. They say don't park it at a movie theater as thieves know they have 2 hours on ya. But at home, since I live at a condo, I have a sidewalk area off to the side. I plan on dropping 2 posts/hooks something that will handle a thick chain on either side and cement them in. Then run the chain through the frame if possible or lock it on the belly stand somehow. but the size of chain was what i was looking for.

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
Yep, good heavy chain, and make sure like I mentioned to keep the chain off the ground...

I the post about covers I mentioned that the Wal-Mart cover I have has grommets on the bottom that I run a small cable lock through. (Was the barrel lock that came with my pistol)

Covers are good things, as they not only keep prying eyes out but keep kids from sitting on your bike.

I had mentioned getting a motion detecting alarm. I did not mean the kind that wakes the neighbors from every gust of wind, but the kind that sends a signal to a "pager" in your home. This allows you plenty of time to grab your weapon of choice. call the police , or just open fire from the window.

It is always a good idea to park your bike where you can see it from some place in your house or apartment (if possible)

When I lived in the city..I parked my bike across the street from my apartment , chained to a lamp post. I could see the bike out my living room window and if needed, I could still make a shot at that distance from the window .....;)

KM

·
Registered
476 Posts
Remember that the chain is NOT the only thing to look at! If you get a HUGE chain and a TINY lock, they will just cut the lock!

The chain I use is the same that home depot uses or is it Lowes... Anywho they use it to lock up the lawnmowers outside and they leave them all nite here. So far none has been stolen.

My lock is 5/8" also and is galvanized like the chain, They can be cut but with MUCH difficulty and TIME! And I leave no slack whatsoever in the chain.

I too live in a complex.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts