Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone treated mine with Wurth Rust Guard Silver and it's starting to flake. What's the chance it will clog a filter screen? TIA

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The chance of clogging is pretty good. If you want to treat the tank again, I'd use the Yamaha tank cleaner. It's a two part process. The acid wash and a neutralizer. I used it to clean the rust out of mine and have had no recurrance of rust in the almost 2 years since I did it.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I used to take car fuel tanks to a radiator shop to have them tanked and acid dipped, then I would have them install a special bladder, I don't know if the bladder would work on a motorcycle tank or not...I think that the petcock holes would b to small

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know how to remove the stuff you have in there, but I know that I used Red-Kote to line my tank just about a month ago. I can't find anything bad about it like I did the rest of the tank treatments. It is red and is easy to see if you coated well. I had a leak at the weld where the front left mounting tab is and it sealed it up real well. Just make sure the tank is 100% dry before using.

If you want more information, let me know I can tell you anything you might like to know. Also, it is nicely priced at $35 on Ebay with free shipping from a guy in Florida.

--Buba

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I don't know how to remove the stuff you have in there, but I know that I used Red-Kote to line my tank just about a month ago. I can't find anything bad about it like I did the rest of the tank treatments. It is red and is easy to see if you coated well. I had a leak at the weld where the front left mounting tab is and it sealed it up real well. Just make sure the tank is 100% dry before using.

If you want more information, let me know I can tell you anything you might like to know. Also, it is nicely priced at $35 on Ebay with free shipping from a guy in Florida.

--Buba
Hey Buba, that is what i was talking about...didn't know if it was going to work on a bike...thanks for setting me strieght...You should have zero probs with it now. I always get my cagers lined with it when i drop the tanks for new fuel pumps....getting the tank acid dipped is just a percaution to help get rid of the rust, and most radiator shops will also treat the tank with rust inhibitors before putting the Red-Kote into the tank. Doing this makes sure that it will seal up 100% with out leaks. I had a tank on a CJ3B that I did this to...the tank had holes big enough to drop dimes through....i welded the holes up as good as i could without destroying the tank and then took it to the rad shop....that was 15 years ago....still no leaks to this day...and the Red-Kote still hasn't even thought about breaking down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a bunch, everyone! I just got back from a nice bike ride, and I've been away since I posted that.

I think I will try to get a radiator shop to just clean it out for me. Then I'll try something like Red Kote. Sound good? Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts