Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanted you're opinion on whats a good tire for the vn750, I'm looking at buying one from a pretty nice price but the tires are shot and will need replacing before i can get it inspected. Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey my first tech reply... :smiley_th

I just joined but have been reading this site for the last couple of weeks. Most people here agree that the ME880 tires from Metzler are the go to best tires for our bikes.

Ride safe.

·
Banned
448 Posts
It's all a matter of preference. You want a good tire that is nice and sticky, but you want to figure out what is best for you.
Are you going to do a lot of interstate riding? Back roads with a lot of twisties? Dry weather, wet weather? Most tires will accommodate what you want to do, but it's best to research them. Make sure and check the date on the sides of the tires. You don't want to get any that are over a couple years old.
Most here use the Metzler ME880's. They are an awesome tire, but are expensive. But at the same time you only have 2 tires between you and the road, so get a good pair.
I always get a matching set of treads for both tires. I'm pretty sure you don't have to, but I'm sure someone will chime in and help with that.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
i have the factory size useing dunlop 404's there super awsome in the rain!!!! i have put about almost 2000 miles on the bike in the last month or so .. there also great in the cold ( i hate northern ohio )i also have put the old girl damn near on the foot peg before in a hard turn with these shoes
rear tire was 97 bucks (shipped to me i took it off and payed to have it mounted and balanced) and the front was 125 bucks that was i took it off and they orderd the tire and mounted and balanced it

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
Hello.....I have to throw in my 2 cents on this question.....as I feel it should be a two part question........Best tires for a Vulcan 750....period!......or best tires for a Vulcan 750 in a certain price range? Best tires period....... I would say there are three...... Pirelli Night Dragons, Metzeler 880's, or Avon Venom's. They all stick to the road great.....and are great in the rain.......The Avon's are very soft compound so they stick like glue......but will be worn out the fastest. The Night Dragons are Pirelli's answer to the Metz 880's. Both are a very good all weather.....decent mileage tire. If you don't want to spend over 150.00$ on a set of tires......my vote is for Shinko Tourmaster 230's. I own these currently and love them......good all weather tire and very high mileage out of these (8000 miles currently and only now beginning to show signs of wear.)

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Last year I replaced my stock Bridgestones with Pirelli MT66's. Best tires I've ever rode on. Zero wobble on metal grate bridges and incredible traction on wet Florida roads, even with sharp turns on rain-soaked pavement. They were much cheaper than the Metzler's as well, about half the price.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The bike I just bought has Shinko Tourmaster 230's and so far they work. I only have 100 miles on them and the previous owner just had them put on and they only had like 40 miles on them. I will post back later on how these hold up as I have a 65 mile commute daily so I will be racking up miles on them quick.

·
Registered
555 Posts
New tires are great, but always remember new tires or old tires you can still pop a hole in them from riding over nails and etc. I use ride on tire sealer, i could run over 100 nails and tires will still be inflated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Avons

I was in the same situation 3 years ago and I did a lot of reading on the forum. At the time the Mets and the Avons seemed to be neck and neck. I got better pricing on the Avons and took the Knifemakers advice and put fatter tires on the bike. I love the tires and they still have plenty of tread after 10,000 miles. I think the rubber will go bad before I wear them out. Note, the fattter tire (see signature for sizes) actually corrected the speedometer as one of our members pointed out.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I went cheap. I got some tires from jcwheatney. I settled for the Kenda K673 Kruz Street. This tires did it for me. I am not an agressive rider or hard on the twisty roads. Oh yeah, I went with the over size for the rear and standard size for the front.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like the Kenda myself. 6ply rating. Here in Alaska we get a lot of rain and the roads leave a lot to be desired and these work really good for me. The price is really nice to. I get mine from, americanmototire.com.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Every one seems to only talk about mileage but what about in the curves? I'm still rolling on the stockers and I use every inch of tire.. I'm looking to replace them with Avons.. it a similar tire with a more sports profile.. can anyone give me any pointers...

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,689 Posts
Every one seems to only talk about mileage but what about in the curves? I'm still rolling on the stockers and I use every inch of tire.. I'm looking to replace them with Avons.. it a similar tire with a more sports profile.. can anyone give me any pointers...
a lot of people on here like the Avons tires. you might want to look into buying the next size up on both front and rear tires. it helps out the VN750 in a lot of different ways!

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Best?...any of the above likely just fine.. just one tip here. Avoid any tire that has a concentirc groove or grooves that go all around the tire. These tend to follow rain grooves, and metal grating ...which can be a big problem.

Look for tires with a broken tread pattern, especially in the front tire. If there is one center "slot" going all away around the tire, find a different one.

KM

·
Banned
130 Posts
DUNLOP WHITEWALLS BABY!
D401WWW on the front, D404WWW on the back!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I realize this is a late post, but I bought my 94 with 6,000 miles on it and a fairly new set of Metzlers, front and rear. I am just now looking for a replacement for the rear tire and have over 26,000 miles on the bike. That's 20,000 miles, and that ain't half bad. They ARE pretty expensive, but from what I've read, they'll outlast just about any other tire.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I said I would report back with my oppinions on the Shinko's. I have put over 1500miles on mine since May. Gotta love a commuter bike lol. I have to say that I am a very relaxed rider and I do not push it in the corners so this is only applicable to them as a commuter tire. Like I said, I ride very relaxed usually just slightly faster than the flow of traffic so I am not next to a cager for very long.

I like them. I have ridden in 34* weather, pouring rain and today was 107*. (God I live in a weird area) I have never felt any "sliding" or felt that they pulled too hard in construction "grooves" on the highway. Nice and stable for around town and stable at 100 with my 300 lbs. of rider and gear on the way to work, (I was running late lol). They have no visable wear that I can see and if I had to buy a new set of tires tommorow then I would go with the "cheap" shinko's. :smiley_th

·
Registered
802 Posts
When I bought my bike, it still had the original tires on it. Didn't take long to finish wearing them out. Went with the Shinko 230's and got about 11k out of them. Well the back one. 110 front won't be available until July. But the front is still plenty good. About the 3rd week I had the first set on, rode home in the rain. Rain would be an understatement really. At one point I was questioning my sanity of even being outside, let alone riding a bike. The tires and the bike handled it all fine. I vary from a smooth blacktop to grooved concrete on my ride to and from work. They seem to handle it all quite well. I would not doubt there may be better tires out there, but for my money these tires will continue to be on the bike. Not doing any hard riding, but the speed limit on Dallas highways was once described by a friend as "keep up". More than a few times I've looked down and saw I was doing 80. And keeping up was about what I was doing.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Reported.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts