Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I’m replacing the stator on my 03 750, and since the OEM is ridiculously expensive I’m wondering what the best aftermarket stator to go with is that will actually last. I’m seeing OLD posts about ricks electrical being a good one but havnt seen any posts on this subject being done within the last several years.
(If this post is in the wrong spot, I apologize I am new here)

·
2,586 Posts
Just did a stator change for my friend and used a Rick's stator from ebay, I did one years ago on another bike and they are highly recommended, Just finished putting everything together yesterday and was getting around 14.3V at 3K rpm. He took the bike out for a spin afterwards and said it ran better than ever. Before we changed it he was only getting about around 12v with the old one and it tested bad. Oh, and make sure you get another gasket for the Stator cover. Take a look at the shift shaft seal too, if it looks a little wet with oil then nows the time to change it.

·
2,586 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
My son and I replaced the stator and R/R a few months ago from Electrex World UK. Link
Very well made, works great. They also have a plugn' play MOSFET that I plan on upgrading to when I got the cash.
It's nice the yellow stator wires are about two feet long so you can bypass the three pin connector plug (a weak point) and hard wire in.
This is up at Mt. St. Helens - I've owned the bike 21 years and 54k + ish miles - I think.
Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. I’m replacing the stator on my 03 750, and since the OEM is ridiculously expensive I’m wondering what the best aftermarket stator to go with is that will actually last. I’m seeing OLD posts about ricks electrical being a good one but havnt seen any posts on this subject being done within the last several years.
(If this post is in the wrong spot, I apologize I am new here)
Hi: you know the OEM is "ridiculously expensive" as you say. Nevertheless it doesn't seem to be much superior, in that they all fail early on ( I have a 2003 it failed at 19000, and I had a 2004 failed at 20000). Their replacements failed again around 12 to 15k on them. The last one (I'm on my 4th!), I've used an electrosport with the bright blue winding insulation, and I replaced the R/R also with an Electrosport one which I moved to the outside frame. Only about 1500 on these.
By the way, My second time I replaced, I did not do engine remove again. If That was the only way, I was going to junk. I didn't want to do the other metal grinding side plate mod either, as that seems like a nightmarish rube goldberg to me. I cut the frame, but I spent a lot of time studying on it and watching videos of others doing hack job butchery that I'd be afraid to ride. My result I feel is far better and I'm completely comfortable with the soundness of it. I could answer questions and so forth if desired.
Dave

·
Registered
887 Posts
I’m looking at Ricks or Electrex. Mine just died on me today, 6vac from the stator, slightly different resistance between leads. No charging even though the wiring and r r tests good. I’ll report back here if I buy and install a new one

1 - 6 of 6 Posts