Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering which soldering iron you guys use for doing electrical work on you're bikes. going to solder my stator wires when it gets here. didn't know what would be a good one to use. i have a cheap one from radio shack and it kinda sucks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
just wondering which soldering iron you guys use for doing electrical work on you're bikes. going to solder my stator wires when it gets here. didn't know what would be a good one to use. i have a cheap one from radio shack and it kinda sucks.

Yeah, Radio Shack probly a small one...a Soldering Gun would work fine....maybe you could borrow one.
Also, a mini torch would get the job done.

EDIT: Pick up some Shrink Tubing.....available @ Radio Shack.

:smiley_th

·
Registered
856 Posts
I use a butane powered one I picked up from radio shack.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a couple weller soldering stations I use for everything. But if you don't solder regularly, anything will do.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I've gone through a few of the butane powered devices from radio shack and it's extremely convenient.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9450

I guess it matters how much you are going to solder. There are some really neat solder stations out there. Oh, and don't forget to Tin your Solder tip.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
As mentioned, if not doing a lot of soldering, almost anything will work.. the one thing a lot of the soldering irons from radio shack dont have, is a lot of capacity. 25-40 watt irons dont do well soldering on wiring outdoors (unless light gauge). The just dont have the heat capacity.

the soldering equip I use is a 60 W station, with a relatively large tip. Lots of mass in the tip, it helps keep the temp up when you start to work. It is a temp controlled station, that I used regularly for soldering 1700 mah sub c nicads together using heavy (probably 8 gauge or larger) braided wire. Too bad the manufacturer of it is gone, as tips are no longer available for it.

Even a 40 watt iron will work for most stuff as long as the tip has enough mass so that it dont cool down the second you make contact with the items to be joined

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was wanting to make sure when i soldered the stator wires they didn't come apart. i use my other one some but it was a 9$ iron and doesn't get hot enough for anything big. i thought about the weller station it's about 50$ i think it ranges from 20-60 w. i can always run an extension cord to my bike. which i would have to anyway. thanks for the recommends.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This one is a good choice.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RIDT84/ref=gno_cart_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1JX5VIUKL6HSF

Price is right, small enough for larger circuit board work and powerful enough to keep the tip heat up when working on medium size pieces outdoors. Plus since it's butane powered no extension cord. The heated exhaust even works fairly well for heat shrink tubing.
looks good i may see if radio shack has that one. never really considered the butane irons but i say they would be good for the convenience factor.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
And they heat up much faster too

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
For larger wires (like your stator) I use this soldering gun.

For finer work, like soldering circuit boards I use the welller station posted earlier.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
....^ same type I have...have an antique one too that has like a 3/4" diameter tip, lol....stays hot forever but is a wattage hog....

.....canned heat......weg

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
will the butane work for the stator wires. i just got the small one from radio shack. and should i use the flux core solder? i did get the shrink tube.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
....^ same type I have...have an antique one too that has like a 3/4" diameter tip, lol....stays hot forever but is a wattage hog....

.....canned heat......weg
i could use the flame thrower in you're picture lol. i would just turn it in on the insurance and get another bike. just kidding, i like the old school look of my 750 to much to do that. plus I'm half way through the stator process. just waiting on tim to send me one.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
The butane iron will work the same way as an electric, only faster and no cords. Downside is that you need a can of butane but it lasts abut an hour per filling so a small can will last me for years since I rarely solder now days. Flux solder is the way to go, especially if you got a lead /tin mix solder.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The butane iron will work the same way as an electric, only faster and no cords. Downside is that you need a can of butane but it lasts abut an hour per filling so a small can will last me for years since I rarely solder now days. Flux solder is the way to go, especially if you got a lead /tin mix solder.
awesome I'm ready then lol. y'all wish me luck and say a prayer lol. putting it all back together. i did take some pics and most of the bolts i put back where i took them from.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Go for it, just be sure to replace the pickups in the correct places, Mixing them up could be problematic.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
thanks to everyone for the advice and help. if i hadn't spent all my money on the bike i would send everyone a case of beer but y'all have to settle for a cyber handshake and a big hug. "a friendly biker hug lol not a funny hug."

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
It wouldn't work, I don't think you can mail beer without possibly getting in trouble. If you could I'd have sent some to NewRider 2 days ago.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
here is a beer cheer anyway lol.
yeah I'd say it would be pretty shook up by the time it was delivered.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts