Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Best Rear Tire For My Vn750 In Maine?

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Ndr 
#1 ·
Hello all!

Well so far... jetted, degoated, earshaved and led marker lights done! Now it's time for rear tire. I'm looking for any personal info on the best tire for my region. They state i should use the Dunlop 404 yet I'm more into what you all say since you've all already helped me so much. And also, what places do you all use for the cheapest prices. I have a place close by that'll match any online deals.

Thanks all!

Kristoco

#2 · (Edited)
Personally, I like the Michelin Commander II. Long mileage tire but great grip in the corners. There are only 2 tires on a motorcycle so I don't trust my life to a cheap tire.

motorcyclesuperstore.com is the best place I've found for tires. Great pricing and fast free shipping. Manufacturing date is not old either.

#8 ·
Personally, I like the Michelin Commander II. Long mileage tire but great grip in the corners. There are only 2 tires on a motorcycle so I don't trust my life to a cheap tire.

motorcyclesuperstore.com is the best place I've found for tires. Great pricing and fast free shipping. Manufacturing date is not old either.
I agree with that! no cheap tires for me. lol
thanks for the info on where to buy. :rockon:

the commanders are damn good tires and of course there is always metzler but they are not cheap shinko tires are budget priced and grab the road well but you are not going to get a ton of miles out of one dunlop sucks (my opinion)

and if you want a 25,000 mile tire you can put a car tire on

the stock tire size for the vn750 is 150/90/15 but going with that size will limit your choices

many have used a 170/80/15 which is will broaden your choices and doesnt cause any noticeable change to the bike in my opinion

if you want to go with a car tire i recommend a nexen b802 which is a 165/80/15 and has symmetrical tread that is the one i have on my bike i run the tire pressure at 30 psi cold and it has never slipped out from under me i have over 20k miles on it and still have plenty of life left in it
I've hear the same thing about the Shinko's.

I've gone with the 170/80/15, and have noticed that at hwy speeds, the RPM's are lower.

Still happy with the 170/80/15 Shinko Tourmaster 230 on mine, almost 5k mi. on it. Got it through Pinwall Cycle, Ohio via Ebay. Have about $120 in front/rear tires. Pinwall became a Shinko dealer right after I bought mine.

Figured out last week that 30 psi is too much air in the rear on mine. Dropped it down and if anything, it feels better. Will have to double check but I set it around 25-27 psi. It was wearing the center out with 30 psi.
WOO HOO! let's hear it for Pinwall Cycle, in OHIO! you've go to love those Buckeye's!:rockon: (ok, maybe you don't. lol)

as for your tires wearing out the center, that just means you need to hit more "twisty's"! lol ;)

Best tire? This is akin to an oil thread...lol.

Actually the Metzler Marathon has been the most popular tire through the years, and the Avon Venom.

What tire you have in front?
what?! not another "tire thread"?! lol

I've been running Metzler Marathon on both the wife's and my bikes. love them! but I'm thinking of trying the Avon Venom next.

I went thru 2 shinko's & loved every minute of them. (On the rear)
believe me! when kanuck69, says "I went thru 2 shinko's & loved every minute of them."....he ain't sh!tting you! that boy rides hard and is hard on tires! kanuck69-aka-Bat out of Hell!

Well no one around here even carries the Michelin tire and i'm kind of in a bit of a hurry so I got the Parelli Night Dragon 170/80/15.

Thank you all for your info and i'll definitely grab the michelins when i replace the front.
hey, let us know how those work out for ya.

#3 ·
the commanders are damn good tires and of course there is always metzler but they are not cheap shinko tires are budget priced and grab the road well but you are not going to get a ton of miles out of one dunlop sucks (my opinion)

and if you want a 25,000 mile tire you can put a car tire on

the stock tire size for the vn750 is 150/90/15 but going with that size will limit your choices

many have used a 170/80/15 which is will broaden your choices and doesnt cause any noticeable change to the bike in my opinion

if you want to go with a car tire i recommend a nexen b802 which is a 165/80/15 and has symmetrical tread that is the one i have on my bike i run the tire pressure at 30 psi cold and it has never slipped out from under me i have over 20k miles on it and still have plenty of life left in it

#4 ·
Still happy with the 170/80/15 Shinko Tourmaster 230 on mine, almost 5k mi. on it. Got it through Pinwall Cycle, Ohio via Ebay. Have about $120 in front/rear tires. Pinwall became a Shinko dealer right after I bought mine.

Figured out last week that 30 psi is too much air in the rear on mine. Dropped it down and if anything, it feels better. Will have to double check but I set it around 25-27 psi. It was wearing the center out with 30 psi.

#11 ·
Guess the south end of Ohio got all the curves, you guys are flat and corny, like Indiana and Michigan. :)

One of our favorite Ohio roads, is no more. 124 runs along the Ohio river, a nice curvy route with small rolling hills that takes you literally right along the water's edge and some of the widest parts of the river. The road slipped some years back and the state just abandoned it. You can ride a little way, then you come to barrels, sawhorses, and signs that say Private Road, No Outlet, KEEP OUT. We chickened out on running the blockade and went another way. Went to the locks and watched some barges go through, first time for me, kinda cool to watch.

#12 ·
Guess the south end of Ohio got all the curves, you guys are flat and corny, like Indiana and Michigan. :)

One of our favorite Ohio roads, is no more. 124 runs along the Ohio river, a nice curvy route with small rolling hills that takes you literally right along the water's edge and some of the widest parts of the river. The road slipped some years back and the state just abandoned it. You can ride a little way, then you come to barrels, sawhorses, and signs that say Private Road, No Outlet, KEEP OUT. We chickened out on running the blockade and went another way. Went to the locks and watched some barges go through, first time for me, kinda cool to watch.
not quite as corny. lol
no, we are not as bad as Michigan or Indiana. but the closer you get Michigan or Indiana the worse it gets. :( it's really bad out by Toledo, Ohio.

that sucks about RT124. blast! I would have loved to check that out. but I'm with you, I wouldn't chance going bast the "KEEP OUT" signs. that could be a good way to find out if you gear is bullet proof. lol :BLAM:

#13 ·
If the lead bike would've gone through, I would've followed. But since he stopped and was scratching his head, I voted to turn around. Stopping was a sure sign we were noobs with it. lol Not much down through there except river lots, who's to say we weren't visiting our boat friends. ;)

#14 ·
In my opinion, I'd stay away from the Dunlop 404s. While they are decent tires, (came stock on my VN900) the tread life leaves a LOT to be desired.

The Michelin Commander II and Metzler tires are pretty nice long life tires.

Do you hit a lot of dirt/unpaved roads up in your section on Maine? Might even be worth exploring the option of going "Darkside" aka, running a car tire on your rear wheel.

However, that one is a highly controversial topic that I would recommend researching before making a decision to go that route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.