Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This will be my first fall/winter trying to ride. I'd really like to avoid spending $200 (or more) on a riding suit for the winter. I've checked on eBay but so far I don't see any used suits in a Medium for that price range.

Have any good leads?

Hope everyone is doing well!!
-Anth

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
did you try craigs list? im picking up a xl 1 piece used suit for 20 bucks

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool! Good deal!

Yes, looking there too.

I think the problem lies partly with the size. Medium is not popular in the community it seems. Even a Large is hard to come by. XL seems to be the starting point.

Congrats on the bargain--I always love to hear someone getting a good deal!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I got a pair of ski pants that are pretty cheap most places....wear layers under your riding jacket and get a neck sock or something to cover your chin.....works for me!
decent leather gloves can't be beat for your hands

·
Registered
196 Posts
A rainsuit with extra warming layers underneath works pretty well. Pair that with ski gloves and a skarf to cover up exposed skin for the poormans cold weather gear.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Good idea, HardRock.

Anyone ever try riding in winter with Carhartt double-front pants, with or without the flannel lining? I'm thinking I might get double-duty out of a pair of those instead of actual motorcycle riding pants. For my typically short rides, this might work good enough.

http://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Double-Front-Dungaree-Flannel/dp/B0085TI0LO/ref=sr_1_18?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1380679856&sr=1-18&keywords=flannel+lined+jeans
Carhartt is good stuff ,I own several of their Items the insulated bibs are hard to beat,but these do since they are waterproof.The coon hunters swear by them and they are out in the dark wandering around through briars and all sorts of bad weather.You can also get them uninsulated tor about 30 bucks less if you want to layer and keep the wind and water at bay. Check these out,not a lot more than Carhartt and pretty much weatherproof and tough as nails
http://www.huntsmart.com/Nite-Lite-Outdoor-Gear-Extreme-Insulated-Bibs

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ski pants are the way to go. I got a pair that snaps on/off fairly quickly and just wear it over my work attire. I'm pretty sure I picked them up after cold season last year for $20.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Saw some fleece-lined jeans at Walmart yesterday, blue or tan. I figured to buy them too large and have room for another layer underneath, wear that under my bibs and I should be invincible.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Saw some fleece-lined jeans at Walmart yesterday, blue or tan. I figured to buy them too large and have room for another layer underneath, wear that under my bibs and I should be invincible.
I got a pair from LL Bean that are flannel lined and they are great with a layer of fleece or underarmor. I bought them at a thrift store,I don't have the money to order new stuff from LL Bean.

They are getting a bit worn,how much were they at wally world ,Spockster? I wore these a lot even when not on the bike in the cold months. I could go for some new ones.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
I got a pair from LL Bean that are flannel lined and they are great with a layer of fleece or underarmor. ....
They are getting a bit worn,how much were they at wally world ,Spockster? I wore these a lot even when not on the bike in the cold months. I could go for some new ones.
I'll check when I get back to the store, maybe later today. Seems like they were between $20-30, I know they weren't as high as the $57 jeans I saw there.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Denny, those jeans are $24.97.
Thanks ,I'll check to see if those are available at my local store.I def need some new ones. :beerchug:

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
Think it matters how cold the temp is you plan on riding in.
Several companies make nice one piece "over suits" , but most are over 200 bucks....except for this one:
http://m.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/912/16471/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Cyclone-One-Piece-Suit.aspx

Edit: Sorry didn't see the "This item no longer available" but think other places still carry it.

Ski pants are fine but don't provide protection, and good ones aren't cheap either.

Generally I find a good warm motorcyle jacket (with multiple layers underneath) a wool scarf, full face helmet and good winter gloves along with boots and wool socks keep me fairly warm even without an insulated pant. I do have a Tourmaster over pant with liner I picked up for around 100 bucks that I use on real cold days, of long rides.
(Longer the ride the colder you get when the temps are low)

I find that gear specificily made for bike riders does perform better. There are other threads on winter gear you should check out here.....like this one:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23102&highlight=Cold+weather+gear
Which is a good start...

"Search" is your freind.;)

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Several companies make nice one piece "over suits" , but most are over 200 bucks....

Ski pants are fine but don't provide protection, and good ones aren't cheap either.
I have a one piece rain suit similar to the one you posted. It is more of a rain suit and not insulated, but it will help trap your body heat and keep you warmer by breaking the wind. layers underneath would work fine.

As far as ski pants go...I beg to differ on the protection issue. They are designed to survive sliding on ice, so I think the protection is fine, but that is my personal opinion. I think it would certainly be better than just wearing jeans anyway. If you expect them to do more than that, then I think you are just kidding yourself.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
....Carhartt.....been serving Americans for over 100 years.....buy US when ya can, I do.....I have a Carhartt jacket, thats had battery acid spashed on it....been soaked with hot hydraulic from an old Insley excavator, and has taken a ride down the pavement....anyone who went on that Stroudsburg PA ride saw it....kept me REAL warm on that 36 degree morning...and its 20 yrs old now.....
When getting a garment for cold weather riding, dont sell yourself short to get cheaper, etc....its YOUR bod that your protecting, NOT yer bike....spend the few extra bucks for something good....will last ya a long time !
Ive seen the stitching on them foreign items come out after 3 months...

Option too, is "Refrigiwear"....lotta different opts to pick....I like the vests or light jackets that go underneath....reasonably priced too....

http://www.refrigiwear.com/shop-products/jackets--vests

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have been riding the past few days after dark and it has been in the low 40's. I have these ski pants that my sister gave me, that zip all the way down the legs. With long johns and jeans underneath they are perfectly toasty, and I imagine they will be sufficiently warm when it gets even colder.

It's REALLY nice because you can unbutton them, unzip them from the bottom up to the knee, and you can slip them on and off quickly without messing with your boots. Tonight I rolled them up and stashed them between my forks before I headed into a bar.

Though I sort of just stumbled upon them, I would buy the same style if something happened to this pair.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
I wasn't saying wearing ski pants or snow suits wasn't going to be warmer than, well not...my point is they are NOT as protective as armored gear made from 500+ denier nylon. Ski pants and snowsuits are have thin nylon or polyester shells, yeah, they'll slide on snow or smooth ice, but will tear, rip and melt on concrete.
This gear wasn't designed to go 75 mph. Some snowsuits do well, others at speed start flapping and literally pump cold air in.

My point here is that gear specificily designed for motorcycle riders is simply better. Long johns, jeans and ski pants are of course likely going to be warmer than just jeans...but it's still two layers of cotton with soft polyester and a thin nylon cover....which in a get off will last a few feet.
I have read reports of polyester melting into wounds and causing more skin damage than if the skin was bare to start with.

For over nine years I rode 24/7/365 in snow and below freezing conditions. But back then no one was that concerned with protection... If it was cold you just wore the same winter jacket you wore when not riding. No one sold armored stuff other than motocross or euro racing gear.
The technology has gotten better and, smarter. These improvements in riding gear make them much better choices than wearing gear not designed for bikers.

Heated gloves and jackets, breathable waterproof materials and armor have made gear not only warmer but safer.

So as the knight said in the Indiana Jones movie..."choose wisely.."
If you are going to buy a nylon snowsuit, pick one that fits over your armored jacket, and if not, at least fits tightly over what your wear under it and doesn't flap around while riding. Be carefull as those nylon pants will melt if they touch your exhaust pipe. Pick ones that allow your gloves to fit over them
at the wrists, and have stirrups or closures to keep the pant legs from
riding up.
And a good scarf around the neck does wonders...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts