Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across a reasonably priced clutch tool that works for the vn750? My bike's clutch is nearing the end of it's life. I've ordered the parts, but would like to find an inexpensive clutch holder. I'd rather not spend over $40 for a tool I'm only going to use once:

·
Registered
8,541 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I want to put 98 ftlbs of torque on the self-locking nut with a penny jammed in the works.

Use of a strap wrench would require removal of the right side engine cover, would it not? I'd rather not do that either.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Yes, strap won't go with the side cover on. Using a penny might be tough too. Could clip hemostats onto the penny if it will reach the gear.

If you search 'penny' here, there are a lot of posts about it, never a problem. I torqued the flywheel and balancer that way.

Did it with a rag once just to see if it works, just didn't like the lint.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I am just replacing the plates. I ordered the EBC SRK53 rebuild kit and a clutch cover gasket, and am now looking for a tool per the procedure in the service manual.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
The basket bolts for the springs will be tight but you should be able to break them loose. Helps to place the ratchet handle across the center of the shaft/clutch hub.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I also was looking into doing the clutch plates this year. The manual does show the tool in one of the steps but I was also told it’s not needed on here. Regardless I found plenty cheap online,

here’s one

·
Registered
141 Posts
I purchased a tool from EBC for the Vulcan because my son and I each have one and I figured it would be worth having. It looks nice on the wall and I may have used it once to see if it fit. The most important tool you will need to do the clutch plates is a good torque wrench. It is real easy to over tighten the bolts and if you do your clutch will not release correctly.

Doing the clutch plates is real easy and if you are carefull you won't hardly spill a drop of oil.

Reactions: mmart

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts