1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Bell has always been a leader in helmet design and safety, and for ages was THE choice of racers. The cost is not an issue when it comes to a Bell. I have a Bell Super Magnum from the early 70s...banged up and scratched....3/4 shell...I was offered $150 as is....see, Bell has this program, where if you send em yer helmet, they will refurbish it to new condition for a reasonably low cost. Thats worth the higher price itself, IMO...in theory, you can buy a Bell as a teen, and still keep using it safely when a geriatric like me, lol...

Id buy the one you linked to if I was in the market. Forget the mouthguard thing though....back in the days, we had a thing called a Jofa.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
They look like either Scorpion or Sub-Zero from Mortal Kombat or Shredder from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. What has been seen cannot be unseen. ;)

And Wolfie...that looks like a "cup". Not sure I would want that covering my face. lol

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
bell has always been a leader in helmet design and safety, and for ages was the choice of racers. The cost is not an issue when it comes to a bell. I have a bell super magnum from the early 70s...banged up and scratched....3/4 shell...i was offered $150 as is....see, bell has this program, where if you send em yer helmet, they will refurbish it to new condition for a reasonably low cost. Thats worth the higher price itself, imo...in theory, you can buy a bell as a teen, and still keep using it safely when a geriatric like me, lol...

Id buy the one you linked to if i was in the market. Forget the mouthguard thing though....back in the days, we had a thing called a jock strap.

:d:d:d

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I never needed to wear a jockstrap since mine are made of iron....

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
They only come in black?

A black helmet in Florida. Isn't it hot enough there already? ;)
The color doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact it is so ugly.If I had that on my head,I would have to ride around saying"Luke, I am your Father" in my best Darth Vader voice.

The whole Idea seems off to me .If I wanted protection I would get an FF or Modular.You would still mess yourself up bad if you did a face plant wearing that thing.

The only thing I see that it might do that any other Half helmet wouldn't do ,is allow you to look not as skinned up while eating your meals through a straw....maybe?

If you like them,don't buy one right now ,I am betting they will be on clearance everywhere this fall.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
wolfie watch out big brother is gonna take your iron balls from you saying that they are assault weapon rounds

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The color doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact it is so ugly.If I had that on my head,I would have to ride around saying"Luke, I am your Father" in my best Darth Vader voice.

The whole Idea seems off to me .If I wanted protection I would get an FF or Modular.You would still mess yourself up bad if you did a face plant wearing that thing.

The only thing I see that it might do that any other Half helmet wouldn't do ,is allow you to look not as skinned up while eating your meals through a straw....maybe?

If you like them,don't buy one right now ,I am betting they will be on clearance everywhere this fall.

To each their own Denny... I like half helmets... and this setup would help with rain and other elements. And you basing things off looks is a personal choice also... I think ff helmets make you look pretty funny too lol

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And as for the black km... my current helmet is black and wasn't an issue last summer.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
To each their own Denny... I like half helmets... and this setup would help with rain and other elements. And you basing things off looks is a personal choice also... I think ff helmets make you look pretty funny too lol
I too wear a halfie ,when I wear one, but that one doesn't push my buttons at all. Have you checked out the Scorpion EXO 100?It has some good features to it as well,drop down vizor,removable neck curtain and the liner pops out for washing.Check this one out
http://www.amazon.com/Scorpion-EXO-100-Tribal-Black-Helmet/dp/B002XQ2ET4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1360171228&sr=8-6&keywords=scorpion+exo+100+helmet

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
And as for the black km... my current helmet is black and wasn't an issue last summer.
I believe you didn't have an "issue" with your black helmet. Just pointing out there's no reason to make yourself hotter on an already hot day. A black helmet sitting in the sun will run 40 degrees hotter than a white helmet.
Am sure many can tolerate the extra heat, my question is only - why when you don't have to

As far as ugly or funny looking..... If you're picking a helmet based on how you think it looks on you then I think you've forgot the point of what a helmet is for .......or ....you're just worried about not looking "cool" or something. ;)

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I like the HJC Modular helmets, they say not to run them unlocked but I do and its great. If traffic builds I flip it down to locked just in case.

kenny

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I like the HJC Modular helmets, they say not to run them unlocked but I do and its great. If traffic builds I flip it down to locked just in case.

kenny
So I'm guessing your plan is to only crash when you have it down? LOL

Nice to have that option I guess...... ;)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
When I started riding there was no such a thing as a FF, def not a modular...I got used to halfs for the street, and 3/4 for racing. And i tried on a FF once...I got clausrtrophobic...wouldnt be a good thing to ride a bike that way.
And I did an informal survey of local PD agencies who had bikes. Only 1 outta 10 preferred a FF, 6 preferred a 3/4, and 3 a halfie. Interesting.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Black is definitely hotter and it seems like 95% on the market are black, or mostly black. I've been looking for another helmet and was about to post a thread asking for pics of what people here are using.

I have a Bell Hornet full face to use with the race car, it's got a white base color and lots of vents, but the graphics are black/red, still cooler in the sun than the black Harley open face I have. The Hornet whistles above 40mph. The black helmet fits funny and I won't wear it, makes you look like a bobblehead or DK mode in the 007 game.

I like the idea of the dual visor helmets, never had one in my hands. What do y'all think about the chrome half helmets like the Bell or Outlaw brands? Should reflect the sun as good or better than white.

Bell chrome half

Outlaw chrome half

The bandanna helmet reminds of those rubber condom hats guys used to wear at concerts, or a modified kraut bowl.

That Scorpion Denny posted doesn't look bad to me, but it's black and I need all the help I can get staying cool.

Bell Hornet

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
That Scorpion Denny posted doesn't look bad to me, but it's black and I need all the help I can get staying cool.
Just Look up the Exo100 if you are interested they come in several colors.

My buddy Ted has a Fulmer helmet that is a FF car helmet that he wears when it is hot and says it flows a bunch of air,it has a pinlock shield that will not open unless you open it too.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
The only problem with chrome helmets is they tend to "go invisable" most of the time.....as they reflect their surroundings. Nice blue sky....matches the reflection in your helmet and the guy in the car two cars back can't "see you".

I prefer light colors to avoid heat, but stick to colors that are also more visable.

A nice modular helmet that has duel visors and is THE ONLY one on the market that can be worn with the chin bar up is the Shark Evoline:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shark-evoline-3-st-helmet-solid-colors

.....as the chin bar is designed to rotate all the way to the back of the helmet.

Other than High- Vis yellow.... White is hard to beat for visability.
And still runs cooler than any other solid color.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Thanks Denny, I see the the color choices now, that link you posted earlier only offered black. I'm thinkin' white or silver, silver might be close to the gray on my tank. Red/white/blue flag stripes would be ok, see that on other brands.

You have the Exo-100? The visor/inner shield work ok?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts