Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been on in quite a whole. But i have an issue and u boys are the right ones to ask. Just went out to start my bike and it's dead. And my battery tender shows it's not even charging. I've had to replace the battery before due to a bad junction box. It was rebuilt by KC and it worked beautifully all summer. Now it's just dead. Any ideas?

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Disconect the battery from the bike and charge. Check to see if it charges. If not, bad battery. Otherwise...

Connect it back and leave it hooked to the bike for a day. Check it. If no charge you have a short.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
hey man...glad to see you again online!

Text me or call if you need help.
Check your fuses, ground connections and see if the charger is putting out any voltage first.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I've been working and just dealing with personal stuff. Was gonna take her out for a little ride around town. Turned the key and had nothing, not even a light. I'll probably get out there some time tomorrow and pull the battery.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
Good to hear from ya.was worried.how's your family ?

·
Registered
468 Posts
could be the ignition switch. mine will do that sometimes and if i wiggle the key everything comes on. I'm going to fix it when i get a chance but as long as it works for now not to worried about it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I finally pulled the battery and it's showing no charge. 2nd battery in 2 seasons. Something ain't right

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
Throw it on the trickle. And if ya need help give Wolfie a buzz.he'd love to hear from ya

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked to Anthony before to see how wolf was doing. Once it's riding weather again I'll be up to visit with a 6pack haha.
I have the battery on the trickle and it's showing its not charging. Got a guy coming over in the next two weeks to check the stator, R/R and maybe the Junction box. Hopefully it's so,etching simple but something has to be draining these batteries

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I talked to Anthony before to see how wolf was doing. Once it's riding weather again I'll be up to visit with a 6pack haha.
I have the battery on the trickle and it's showing its not charging. Got a guy coming over in the next two weeks to check the stator, R/R and maybe the Junction box. Hopefully it's so,etching simple but something has to be draining these batteries
We replaced your JB last time because something was shorting out internally and causing the starter and fan to engage on it's own.
I think we fixed the symptom rather than the cause, but unless we hear the relays click on and are able to troubleshoot at that moment, it was going to be a very difficult issue to resolve.

I suspect a short someplace in the electrical system, but can't even guess as to where at this point.
When your friend comes over to check things, do me a favor and document EVERYTHING he tests as well as his findings so we have a base to work from.
Something tells me this is not over yet.

Let me know if you need anything.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will do. If I don't have a bike this summer I'll lose my mind haha. Already started seeing if I could afford last years model of the Harley forty eight and seventy two. Sadly I can't swing it

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
A battery that is not constantly kept on a tender will die in a very short time of non use. I've had batteries go completely belly up in 3 months of sitting. I have wasted a fortune on batteries. I finally got smart, invested in some tenders, now every vehicle I have other than my daily driver car is connected to a tender any time it is not being used. I haven't had to replace a battery in a while. My Vulcan battery will have been on a tender nearly a year when I finally get it all back together. It still has that nice comforting green light showing.

Off topic, but leaving carbs sitting for 3 months with ethanol in them around here will make enough of a mess that they will have to be removed, disassembled, cleaned, and probably a few plastic/rubber parts replaced. Drain them and fill them with WD-40.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts