Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I've posted, but thought I'd update the starter drama I was having. Tried to put some of my new parts in the starter Denny sent me, and noticed the fit was off just a bit. Still tried it and would turn over but not start. Noticed the armature were different sized so I couldn't change those out. Last time I had the two apart, I decided I'd take the seal out of Denny's and put it in my original starter. Still leaked a bit, but not nearly as bad. So took it apart (about the 100th time) and took both seals with me to work one day. Called a few places and was referred to a distributor. Gave him the part numbers and he gave me the break down on them. Turns out, the rebuilder put a seal on my starter that was for a 15mm shaft. Looking at the one that came out of Denny's starter, it was 13.5mm seal. Certainly explains why it was leaking. So then he gave me the bad news. The seal had a proprieritory license so he would have to order it. And the minimum was 500. Needless to say, I didn't order it. But was thankful he gave me the full dimensions and I found a place that had one for 3 bucks. Of course, shipping was 4. But I'm happy to say my bike starts, and I don't have a constant oil flow down my driveway now.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Glad to hear you solved the problem w/o breaking the bank.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After all the costs added up from the initial repair to the extra starter and the oil lost, the bank isn't broken, but it's got a big crack in it now. :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts