Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a few parts to Build a MC 3 Phase Voltage Regulator/Rectifier... Supposed specs is 14.5V constant over all rpm ranges. The parts are supposed to be coming in the mail early next week. Once I get this all soldered up, I will post more... along with real time power ratings...

Ohh and I got every thing to build the R/R for 25 bucks... no used parts either...

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I just ordered a few parts to Build a MC 3 Phase Voltage Regulator/Rectifier... Supposed specs is 14.5V constant over all rpm ranges. The parts are supposed to be coming in the mail early next week. Once I get this all soldered up, I will post more... along with real time power ratings...

Ohh and I got every thing to build the R/R for 25 bucks... no used parts either...
whats the deal heavier diodes and resistors =more heat capacity what about the heat sink?I wanna see this and I am not being a wise guy.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know you aren't being a wise guy... and I can't take 100% credit for this... I found this mod on an XS650 forum...

The parts used is a Ford truck External Voltage regulator used from the late 60's to mid 80's, and a three Phase rectifier from eBay. Total cost in parts was 26 bucks. Once I get the parts, I am going to barrow my friends camera and give a step by step tutorial on how to do it.

Rectifier

Voltage Regulator (4 wire+ case ground)

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey slim, I only understand this at an elementary level, but it sounds interesting and promising.

I believe our newbie member, chiller, mentioned he is an electronics engineer. He might be a good collaborator with you on this project.

Good luck with the experiments. 8)

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I know you aren't being a wise guy... and I can't take 100% credit for this... I found this mod on an XS650 forum...

The parts used is a Ford truck External Voltage regulator used from the late 60's to mid 80's, and a three Phase rectifier from eBay. Total cost in parts was 26 bucks. Once I get the parts, I am going to barrow my friends camera and give a step by step tutorial on how to do it.

Rectifier

Slim,

I have to be a smart ass on this one, how can you take 100% credit for this when you found out how to do it from another forum? LMAO ROTF :doh:

I couldn't resist, all BS aside I saw another company do the same and market this. They have had great results, good luck and keep us posted. :beerchug:

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slim,

I have to be a smart ass on this one, how can you take 100% credit for this when you found out how to do it from another forum? LMAO ROTF :doh:

I couldn't resist, all BS aside I saw another company do the same and market this. They have had great results, good luck and keep us posted. :beerchug:
I think I took this from those same guys.

To Oll Hoss, I don't think colabiration will be necissary at this stage... every thing I am doing has already been done and tested on other bikes... I am just converting it from a 5 wire R/R to a 6 wire R/R...

Stage two is Tackeling the Stator... and that is going to take a lot of colaberation

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Slim,

Rectifier

the regulator/ rectifier setup looks fairly straight forward and i see whe this could be a help in this area ,and Lance didn't you have some stators rewound with heavier wire ,I assume to handle the high heat caused by the load on the system,or did I Imagine that?And if you did have you heard how the heavy duty stators are working out,or have they not been in service long enough to know yet?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
the regulator/ rectifier setup looks fairly straight forward and i see whe this could be a help in this area ,and Lance didn't you have some stators rewound with heavier wire ,I assume to handle the high heat caused by the load on the system,or did I Imagine that?And if you did have you heard how the heavy duty stators are working out,or have they not been in service long enough to know yet?
The stators are doing great so far, Tim @ TPE did a great job on them. I am waiting for anther to come back for another engine I am building. :smiley_th

·
Registered
401 Posts
Definitely peaked my interest. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Slim, I'm totally curious as well. It seems like a lot of stator failure can be traced back to the RR - where you get too hot stator wires burning the stator insulation off. A better RR might end up being the solution so many have been looking for.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I am not so sure that this R/R will solve the Stator failure, but it will solve the R/R failure.

Part One is all about the R/R, Part 2 is going to be all about The Stator, Part 3 is going to be about bigger batteries, and Part 4 is going to be about rewiring the bike to handle the added electrical power (mostly adding larger wires to the start and charging systems, and a heavier main ground wire)

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The stators are doing great so far, Tim @ TPE did a great job on them. I am waiting for anther to come back for another engine I am building. :smiley_th
Question #1 to lance about the TPE stators. Have you taken AC volt and DC volt reading on the new stators, and is the output higher at any given RPM, or are we just trying to get a longer lived winding (cooler running?) on them than the OEM.

Question #2. I have never really had anything to do with external voltage regulators, but recall seeing the insides of one many years ago. I believe it had 3 or 4 sets of points, similar to ignition points found on vehicles before about 1975. Does this regulator that slim is using have points, or is it solid state, with other diodes, or whatever?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well, the ground on my old RR failed, and because of that the stator fried; I think it was generating too much juice with no where to go. The un-dumpable electricity burned the insulation off the stator core and grounded it.

I have a replacement RR, but if there was a more bullet proof/robust setup out there than our 6 plug system, I'd like to know about it.

For what it's worth, I'm also considering adding a larger battery and trying to simplify the ignition circuit. All the extras the bikes come with are nice, but I don't want the bike dying because of a random short somewhere.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the ground on my old RR failed, and because of that the stator fried; I think it was generating too much juice with no where to go. The un-dumpable electricity burned the insulation off the stator core and grounded it.

I have a replacement RR, but if there was a more bullet proof/robust setup out there than our 6 plug system, I'd like to know about it.

For what it's worth, I'm also considering adding a larger battery and trying to simplify the ignition circuit. All the extras the bikes come with are nice, but I don't want the bike dying because of a random short somewhere.
PM sent

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
that is awesome

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TY... I don't have the wiring diagram written up yet, I wanted to get my parts in hand and see how I am going to mount everything first. The rectifier should have been here Friday but it still hasn't shown up.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts