Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Acolytes of Perdition
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brought her home tonight!

Tank is freshly painted. I love the all black look.

Home sweet home for the moment.

Gave her some gas with my son on the back. He's a fan.

My daughter in the background

23K on the clock.

Powertrain is whisper quiet. I'm unsure what, if anything I should even look at. There's a hose on one side I need to replace, that's it. Thanks for the help and the advice, looking forward to learning lots more and gettin my ride one.

notes to self:
shaky tach fix.
relocate r&r

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
That looks great; she is clean as hell!

You make me want to step it up and clean mine up a bit more. Nice buy!

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
plan on meeting up sometime next year for sure! looks really nice dude.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Tas Sure A Sweetie! Enjoy !

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
look at the spline lube procedure! nice bike, the 86 is my favorite, LOL!

·
Acolytes of Perdition
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
plan on meeting up sometime next year for sure! looks really nice dude.
You betcha. Could meet in Lansing.

look at the spline lube procedure! nice bike, the 86 is my favorite, LOL!
Yep I'll do that this winter some time. I've already downloaded the FSM :cool:

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I'm pretty excited. Aside from here I've posted this on two different car forums I frequent, facebook and two different work e-mails LOL.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Very good overall condition for an '86 model. Great find--congrats!....:beerchug:

The black paint on the wheels is a major advantage, and hides a lot of dirt/grime.

Your bike should be equipped with self-cancelling turn signals--another nice perk (assuming this feature still works on the bike).

In many ways, your '86 is truly better than pretty much any new comparable cruiser available now at a dealership.

Take good care of her--she's the last of her kind....:(

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
N i i i i i i i i c c e !

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
the late 80's vn750 were the best ;) lol

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Ahhhh... Glad to see another HHGTTG fan. Welcome to the forum!

-Sloppyburpfest (inspired by Slartybartfast)

·
Acolytes of Perdition
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very good overall condition for an '86 model. Great find--congrats!....:beerchug:

The black paint on the wheels is a major advantage, and hides a lot of dirt/grime.

Your bike should be equipped with self-cancelling turn signals--another nice perk (assuming this feature still works on the bike).

In many ways, your '86 is truly better than pretty much any new comparable cruiser available now at a dealership.

Take good care of her--she's the last of her kind....:(
Seems I've made a good choice! Everyone around my circle of friends has had nothing but positive stuff to say (except take off the windshield) Looking forward to getting her polished up and a few maintenance items done this winter, lotsa helpful and well organized info on this forum. I'm quite impressed.

Is your first name Zyphod? Are you the president of anything? Like the galaxy?

Nice find man, enjoy the sh!t out of it...
Ahhhh... Glad to see another HHGTTG fan. Welcome to the forum!

-Sloppyburpfest (inspired by Slartybartfast)
Yea I'm an admitted HHGTTG nut. I got to met Douglas Adams a few months before he died, got a book signed and a handshake and he did an awesome presentation at the university. Fantastic stuff.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Yeah your rides a sweetheart. Enjoy. Sounds like you're the right kind of person to own an older bike since you're stoked about doing the maintenance items. It'll treat ya good. All the best with it!

·
Acolytes of Perdition
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah your rides a sweetheart. Enjoy. Sounds like you're the right kind of person to own an older bike since you're stoked about doing the maintenance items. It'll treat ya good. All the best with it!
I plan on printing off the maintenance page on the FSM and doing everything under the 24K maintenance through the winter, and change all the fluids in the spring. Plus I'll do the R&R move and the spline lube. This baby will be ready to rock when spring comes!! :)

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Excellent plan. Plus it'll make winter move along a little quicker.

·
Acolytes of Perdition
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
finally got a chance to take her out. Not putting insurance on her until spring so i didn't leave the neighborhood.... but she took off like a champ!! Hardly enough room to run to really see anything but I at least got into 2nd gear. Sigh... I can't believe it's going to be 4-5 months before I can really ride her.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
finally got a chance to take her out. Not putting insurance on her until spring so i didn't leave the neighborhood.... but she took off like a champ!! Hardly enough room to run to really see anything but I at least got into 2nd gear. Sigh... I can't believe it's going to be 4-5 months before I can really ride her.
I am loving my 86! I was wondering why you had to wait and then I checked the weather for your area... I forget these things being from California. :doh:

Spring won't come soon enough I am sure!

·
Acolytes of Perdition
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hey guys, spring is in the air. Sorry I went AWOL, was a busy winter. Bike will be insured and registered by the weekend, so it's time to get her road ready. Gonna do all the 24K maintenance, and there's two specific issues I've noticed:

I fired it up a few times this winter just to keep the juices flowing... always fired right up... today, in 75 degree weather, after a full month, it kicked over on the 2nd crank. What a darling!

Still, I notice that it's idling high, sometimes it will stay down, but especially after reving it it will stay up around 2500 rpm.. and then usually slowly fall back down. I assume that the carb is sticking open yes?

Also: the hoses for the "clean air system" are shot, cracked at every end on both hoses, even just putzing around with it this winter it backfired a few times, I assume this is the cause... where can I source replacements for these hoses? (for my own notes, page 334 of the FSM/partslist)

Looking forward to hanging out on the forum, sorry for being a stranger!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts