Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Forum-eers -

I am about to finish up my project bike and post it on CL - a 2000 VN750 (that sorta silver-blue) with 2017 original miles. When I'm done, there will be absolutely no problems with this bike at all - tins are all clean and ding-free; carbs have been cleaned; tires are good (that darned new rear one is a Metzler); front brakes are rebuilds with new pads; all new cables; etc., etc. Completely stock, no other add-ons.

If you all were SELLING this bike, could you tell me what you think a reasonable asking price would be? I was reading all of your pricing suggestions to 99vn750, which is what got me thinking I could use some good advice...

Thanks.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
$2800.00 - $3200.00 is a fair price. :smiley_th

·
Registered
950 Posts
I bought my 2000 last year for $2800 with about 4000 miles, and it had a ding in the tank, some paint and pinstripe that were ruined on the tank from gas spill. It had bags, extended backrest, the kawa bag mounts, and turn signal relocates. But it was stored outside under a cover, so it has surface rust on lots of the bolts. I think that 3200 wouldnt be bad. did you grease the splines when you had the tire off? It may have not needed it for mileage reasons, but maybe just for the age, and that the factory uses vasoline as lube.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought my 2000 last year for $2800 with about 4000 miles, and it had a ding in the tank, some paint and pinstripe that were ruined on the tank from gas spill. It had bags, extended backrest, the kawa bag mounts, and turn signal relocates. But it was stored outside under a cover, so it has surface rust on lots of the bolts. I think that 3200 wouldnt be bad. did you grease the splines when you had the tire off? It may have not needed it for mileage reasons, but maybe just for the age, and that the factory uses vasoline as lube.
Of course, did all that stuff. Spline lube, r/r relo, etc., etc. All the stuff one needs to keep the bike going. And there's no surface rust at all (anymore). Bought it for cheap because of that, and also knew that surface rust is easily remedied.

·
1995 Vulcan 750
20 Posts
Just remember that a buyer will try to talk you down, so start high and go down from there. Good luck.

·
Kawika
441 Posts
Just remember that a buyer will try to talk you down, so start high and go down from there. Good luck.
The other problem on CL, is that people try to talk you down without even seeing the machine....I don't recommend negotiating until the person is there with the cash...at least enough cash for you to hold the price. Anyone serious enough will be prepared for this. Good Luck! :smiley_th

·
Registered
950 Posts
plus you go high and they don't talk ya down, all the better. When I sold my ninja on craigslist I sold it for the same price I bought it for, with an extra 11k miles and a year later. Craigslist is first come first serve. if somebody can't make it too your place monday and somebody can make it saturday. guess who gets it, plus if saturday guy tries to jew you, you always have monday in waiting.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,733 Posts
just did a kelly blue book on 2000 vn750 and for my zip code it came up at $3065. so I would say that $3100-$3200 is a good asking price.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,733 Posts
just checked on craigslist and found a 2000 vn750 for $3250!

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I would say at $3000 or so you should get some good nibbles. Just be sure not to lose on the deal. If you have no designated time frame and a known bottom dollar... just let it ride till you get what you need out of it. I know for a newer bike (by like 10 years) I would have gave an exta $1000. As long as you can justify the "lack" of milage. That does seem to be just as scary as too much milage.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As long as you can justify the "lack" of milage. That does seem to be just as scary as too much milage.
You know, that is a really good point. Actually, the woman from whom I purchased the bike said she almost hit a kid one day, and that scared her so badly she became afraid to ride. Then her brother was killed in a motorcycle accident, at which point she put the bike up for sale. I was afraid things would be dry-rotted (more than just the _([email protected]_#FN valve stem), but there's no leaks anywhere. So it seems to have been run "enough" to keep that from happening.

The other thing is, if no one wants to buy it, I'll keep it. My 2001 has 43K on the odometer, so it's getting a little long in the tooth. Could part that out and have myself an almost-new bike!!! (of course, there goes my profit margin, huh?)

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
good luck with the sale dont sell yourself short i got 2700 for a 91 from the ins company ... 10 years newer id ask for at least a grand more... next month is the prime bike selling month .... keep you options high and someone will pay for a high quality automobile....

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
A few selling Tips:

Figure out what you want out of and stand firm. Say you want $3200.00 for it, ask $3950.00 OBO. That gives you a $750.00 to bargain with.
Like if you know he has the cash but is hesitating go "If you really want it I'll take $3450.00 for it, But that offer is only good until the banks close tomorrow"
Also if you let they haggle you down by $500.00 they will feel that they are getting the best of you. Ho-hmm alot, look at your shoes, kick the ground a couple times before you agree to his price. Just don't let them haggle you lower that you set price.

The best is when a guy comes to look at it with his wife. Then you can use the ego trick. I had a car I was sellling and I could tell when he saw it he wanted it bad. Well he asked his wife what she thought. She said ehhh! and started walking to their car. I turned to the man and said "I understand, She just told you you couldn't buy it. So you better do as she said" Then I started back to my house and said "I have another guy coming in an hour, Maybe his wife will him get it" then I went into the house. He went to his car and got in. They started to drive away. I could see that they arguing. Then the car stopped, backed up & he got out of the car. Came to the door, I opened it and he had the cash in his hand. I had the pink in mine.
Works everytime.............It gives me a laugh everytime I think about it.

Fellow Forum-eers -

If you all were SELLING this bike, could you tell me what you think a reasonable asking price would be? I was reading all of your pricing suggestions to 99vn750, which is what got me thinking I could use some good advice...

Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts