Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I'm changing my tires and since they are tubeless, its a bit different...

I have gotten the rear tire on after much agony. The air pressure put in was not enough to push the tire onto the bead. But after unintentionally shoving the tire, it worked. Now I'm on the front tire and having the same problem. It will not slide onto the bead, only half of it is on. How can I get it to get all the way on?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Did ya use any type of lube on the tire & rim?
When I did tire changes, I usually used a diluted mix of Murphy's Oil Soap & water.
But I recently got a bottle of actual tire lube solution, which worked great on the tires for my truck, but haven't done the bike tires yet.
That stuff is slicker than (as Burt Reynolds said in the movie "Hooper") Cat $hit on a linoleum floor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah we used soap and water, but it didnt work. theres a lot of air seeping out the cracks

·
Stranger Than Fiction
151 Posts
Take a ratchet strap and put it around the tire. crank it down just enough to spread the beads to the edge of the rim. When you put air in it it will pop into place. Make sure to lube it....

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
What PSI are you taking the tire to, You may have to get to close to 30psi to set the bead. Our rims have a inner bead and a outer bead, keeps the tire from dismounting if it goes flat. The lube and ratchet strap workes or bounce the tire or hit it with a rubber mallet to hop the bead over the inner bead.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
yeah we used soap and water, but it didnt work. theres a lot of air seeping out the cracks
1) how much did you use of the soap and water mix? you have to make sure its very wet, not just damp.

2) how are you filling it? you have to have a compressor that fill decently fast to build the pressure to the >20psi needed. if your using a 12v plug in air compressor, it may not generate enough omph.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
1) how much did you use of the soap and water mix? you have to make sure its very wet, not just damp.

2) how are you filling it? you have to have a compressor that fill decently fast to build the pressure to the >20psi needed. if your using a 12v plug in air compressor, it may not generate enough omph. also try filling it without the valve in place to get a faster airflow. after the bead pops in place you can reinstall the valve.

·
239 Posts
I use nitrogen in my tires and to mount them,nitrogen keeps an even pressure in the tires hot or cold.started using it on my jeep. another great thing about it is
that i can regulate the pressure going in the tire when filling.Ive had my jeep tire pop off its bead off roading with low pressure and carry the nitro tanks with me,high pressue output pops um right back on.2 mc tanks at a local gas supplier cost me about 50 bucks(1 time fee)tanks cost about 6-7 bucks to refill.

P.S. Nitro is what nascar uses in there tires and theres been talk about gas stations installing nitro tire pumps,good luck with thse tires

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I'm guessing you probably did this, but I'll mention it anyhow....

Did ya clean the bead area of the rim really good?

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
I use nitrogen in my tires and to mount them,nitrogen keeps an even pressure in the tires hot or cold.started using it on my jeep. another great thing about it is
that i can regulate the pressure going in the tire when filling.Ive had my jeep tire pop off its bead off roading with low pressure and carry the nitro tanks with me,high pressue output pops um right back on.2 mc tanks at a local gas supplier cost me about 50 bucks(1 time fee)tanks cost about 6-7 bucks to refill.

P.S. Nitro is what nascar uses in there tires and theres been talk about gas stations installing nitro tire pumps,good luck with thse tires
Just wanted to clear this up. Spriddle is talking about nitrogen. pure nitrogen. Nitro is easily confused with nitrous oxide, which would be bad to put in tires ;) would make for a nice boom on your next flat.....sorry just didnt wanna hear of someone putting nitrus in their tires...

back to the nitrogen, it is more pressure stable at the temperatures that we run in our tires (gasses expand when heated, hence check your tires cold). Not only that but it also is better on the rubber if i remember right as far as preventing dry rot. On the other hand, its added cost, the air we breathe is anywhere from 50%to 70% nitrogen.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts