Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left my running lights on last night with key in the ignition(I don't want to talk about it). I found out today after chores. I've been charging the battery on a fast charger for about two hours. It's up to 11.5 volts.

I was wondering if It would turn my bike over at 11.5 volts. Anyone have any experience with this problem. I'd appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
12 volt starter means 12 volts minimum to produce starting torque. Too low of volts can damage the starter, fry the internals. Slow charge is the best way to charge a battery to full capacity.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
12 volt starter means 12 volts minimum to produce staring torque. Too low of volts can damage the starter, fry the internals. Slow charge is the best way to charge a battery to full capacity.
I just checked it again and I might as well be watching a pot boil cuz it's at 11.59 volts.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
give it a try.
I did a quick test at 11.7 volts and It didn't work. It really messed up my whole day. I'm waiting. Hopefully it won't be dark when I try and put it in tonight. I'm now at 12.7 volts. Question: will the battery go back up to 13+ volts on the bike or would I have to continue to charge it to that voltage. I charged it over night before and it was at 13+ volts via meter.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Take the time and charge it to full. I put a new battery in and couldn't wait, but it eventually wouldn't start the bike and was away from home. Had to push start. My brother still won't talk to me...lol (he had to push me):D

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take the time and charge it to full. I put a new battery in and couldn't wait, but it eventually wouldn't start the bike and was away from home. Had to push start. My brother still won't talk to me...lol (he had to push me):D
lol. I put it in with 12.7 volts on the battery. It's after 10pm and I've lost the damn nuts for the battery. Iv'e checked everywhere. I have to be in work tomorrow by 8:30 and it's a 40 minute drive in the rain. So, I'm trying to find a way to make this work now so I won't have to do it at 6 in the morning in the rain. I think I'm screwed.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Settle down and think, You'll find the nuts. But still I've been where you are and it makes for a long day.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Settle down and think, You'll find the nuts. But still I've been where you are and it makes for a long day.
Ok, I have a scary question for anyone who cares to respond. If I use zip ties because basically I cannot find a nut to slide into the narrow passageway of the battery terminal will there be a problem short term. I mean from what I can gather those terminals do not get hot.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Have any 1/4" hose clamps? I've put them on that way before. Don't damage the battery with them.

Got an old speaker with a magnet to drag around on the floor? Might find them that way. Shop-vac through a t-shirt ....

With the new AGM, it still cranked it over perfect with around 11.50-11.75v, I wouldn't have expected that with a wet cell, or any battery before now.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Your terminals should only get hot with extended cranking, or cranking on a low battery. Zipties could melt and loosen up. Shield the positive if you can.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your terminals should only get hot with extended cranking, or cranking on a low battery. Zipties could melt and loosen up. Shield the positive if you can.
Well, I sorted through the truck for a hose clamp. I had a bag somewhere. I couldn't find that damn bag either so I opted for the zip ties. I put two on each and the are on good and tight.

I don't think I will have to do any extended cranking since it's fuel injected and either turns over right away or doesn't because in my case due to the battery being at 12.7 volts.

Thanks for everyone's help. Damn, I make stupid mistakes sometimes and it pisses me off. I love this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
double post

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
That may work, it's surprising how little contact it takes sometimes, but get the bolts ASAP, the loose wires may overwork the charging system.

I do the same thing sometimes, it's gets worse when I get in a hurry or someone tries to rush me. Lost my hitch pin today, left my shoes 80 miles away, now it's pouring rain and the loaded trailer isn't tarped.... I'm just gonna watch Adult-Swim and nod off.

I think those bolts are 8mm with 1.50 threads, could be wrong, I often are.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Noticed today, after trickle charging 3 hrs with a power supply yesterday, the battery is sitting with 13.15v and the voltage always rises when I put the voltmeter on it, goes up to about 13.28v and keeps rising.

Never saw a battery do that before, and I used to recondition and sell batteries, hundreds, maybe thousands, of them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts