Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my bike running. I have just put a new battery in it. I did not get the MF one but the one I got came from the Kawasaki dealer. This morning I went to run the gas out of it because I still have a hose or 2 to replace. When I went to start it would not even turn over. I took off the seat and the positive side post was melted. Any Ideas on this would be great seems as though I am new to working on bikes. Thanks
 

·
85 VN 700
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
I'm almost wondering if you're seeing acid damage - just not sure how it'd get up there.

At the same time - I'm pretty sure that if it was electrical your bike would have went up in flames if it was hot enough to melt a post.

Anyone got any ideas other than acid?
 

·
Member
Joined
·
239 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind is that where the positive cable connects to the battery,if it were a loose connection and/or dirty it would generate heat.
 

·
and the Adventure Cycle
Joined
·
6,141 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind is that where the positive cable connects to the battery,if it were a loose connection and/or dirty it would generate heat.
That's what I would think too.
Is it the lead terminal on the battery, or the wire connection that attaches to the battery that melted?
If ya can post a pic, it'd be a big help in trying to figure out what happened.
 

·
HAWK
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
Heat generated that much could be caused by a short.
Look at the postitve cable and see if it got worn through or pinched somewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
if pure lead was used for terminal it might lower the melting point.I've bought a battery that had terminals so soft I was able to twist them off the battery by finger pressure. just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
"I took off the seat and the positive side post was melted."
Side post?

What is describe here would almost dictate catastrophic arc damage to battery case, frame, fused, burned off insulation from heavy wire or ruptured battery case....
Is there any other evidence other than the battery terminal? Picture posted yet?
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top