Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) My screws that connect to my battery seem to be coming loose every 300 or so miles. Not loose enough that the bike won't start but loose enough to notice when I remove the seat. Any recommendations for this? I"ve heard "star washers" specifically can help? Is loctite a bad idea?

2) Also my bike has a hard time starting even after riding on the freeway for over an hour. I generally have to hold start and give it some gas to get it fired up. Would cleaning the carbs be a good troubleshooting step?

Sorry for the basic questions, been riding for 2 years and pretty new to turning the wrench

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
1.) Use a pair of locking washers to hold the nuts in place.

2.) Are you using an AGM or wet cell battery? Wet cells tend to lose cranking amps when they get hot. Switching to an AGM type mostly (if not completely) resolves this.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
No Loctite, use lockwashers, stars are good for this bolt. If it has horizontal bolts with a nut, put the washer under the nut.

The need to open the throttle usually indicates a somewhat rich condition, but can be considered normal for some engines.

I wouldn't expect cleaning to cure much of any excess richness, but float adjustment, new rubber parts, and/or mixture adjustment could do it.

One exception, I don't know what effect clogged air bleeds can have on this particular carb. It normally sets up a siphon action, then fuel flows out the overflow or into the throat via transfer slots, depending on the carb. But, cleaning out a clogged air bleed stops the siphon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts