Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok not sure if I should suspect a bad stator or a bad battery or something else so reaching out to the community on this one...
My battery I just bought on line it's a closed case one, but when I got it and charged it -it kinda lost a little charge on the bench. (While I was waiting to get the bike back together-not a long time but maybe a month before I got it in the machine)
Now that it's in the machine it's not staying charged...How do I figure out if it's the battery or the stator? Or something else?
thanks-
BeeSea

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I am assuming that when you say it is a sealed batttery, you are referring to an AGM type.
My experience with the AGM is that once fully charged, it will sit for months in a cold shed while installed on the bike over the winter and not leak down much at all.
They hold the charge well when everything is as it should be.
Even with a MOSFET R/R and some other small items suckig small amounts of power continuously, the batttery should not leak down in a few weeks.

Like KM said....have the battery load tested.

You can also use an ammeter in line with the positive lead of the battery to see if something is drawing current on the bike when the key is in the OFF position.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I purchased an AGM Battery for my son's Yamaha Maxim online and when I received the battery, it did not stay charged very long either. Like KM stated, take it to Autozone or NAPA and have it load tested. I did and it was the Battery. I called the online seller (I can't recall who it was for sure, but I think it was something Powersports) and they sent me a new one. The second one is still holdong a charge very well. I also had to replace the battery in my Vulcan and it has been a very reliable battery, bought from the same seller. You never know!! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My tester is OHM x1k so if it registered zero I was confident that the .034-.052 stuff was good...it goes 0 up to 1k but as you can see by the results something is wrong...what do these results tell me? (THANKS!)

Leg A1-A2 _____Ω 0.34-0.52 Ω good
Leg A1-A3_____Ω 0.34-0.52 Ω good
Leg A2-A1_____Ω 0.34-0.52 Ω good
Leg A2-A3_____Ω 0.34-0.52 Ω good
Leg A3-A2_____Ω 0.34-0.52 Ω good
Leg A3_A1_____Ω 0.34-0.52 Ω good
Leg A1-Ground_____Ω OL nothing registered no resistance
Leg A2-Ground_____Ω OL nothing registered no resistance
Leg A3-Ground_____Ω OL nothing registered no resistance

R/R Static Test:
A1-A2__________Ω ∞ good
A1-A3__________Ω ∞ good
A1-Ground______Ω ∞ nothing registered no resistance
A1-Bat________Ω 200~600 Ω nothing registered no resistance
A1-M__________Ω ∞ nothing registered no resistance
A2-A1_________Ω ∞ good
A2-A3_________Ω ∞ good
A2-Ground_____Ω ∞ this registered to the far left off my chart
A2-Bat________Ω 200~600 Ω nothing registered no resistance
A2-M__________Ω ∞ nothing registered no resistance
A3-A1_________Ω ∞ good
A3-A2_________Ω ∞ good
A3-Ground_____Ω ∞ this registered to the far left off my chart
A3-Bat________Ω 200~600 Ω nothing registered no resistance
A3-M_________Ω ∞ nothing registered no resistance
Bat-m_________Ω ∞ good
Bat-G_________Ω ∞ this registered to the far left off my chart
Bat- A1,A2,AA3 _____Ω ∞ these all registered 3
M-Bat________Ω 10000Ω~∞ registered zero
M-Ground____Ω 10000Ω~∞ registered zero
M-A1,A2,A3____Ω 10000Ω~∞ these all registered 3
Ground-Bat____Ω 400-2000Ω registered zero
Ground-M_____Ω 1000-5000Ω registered zero
Ground to A1,A2,A3____Ω 200~600Ω these all registered zero

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I'm not too smart this week, but I think all those look good.

You need a reading on AC volts off each stator wire with all three disconnected, A1,2,3 to ground, should be 40-80 volts AC. Not DC.

I would also repeat the stator to ground continuity after it's warmed up, should be nothing from A1,2,3 to ground.

Also what DC voltage at engine off, 1100 rpm, 2500, and 3500 rpm?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
all the above was with the engine off... and it was cold... according to slimvulcan riders directions.

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
BeeSea, you only did half the test. my instructions are a two part test. also I don't know what good means. I am also assuming you are using an analog mufti meter, if so, I have no idea what a hard sweep left means, right means that you have a lot of resistance. Are you sure you had the MM test leads in the correct order. first number in the pair is Red, then the second number in the ordered pair is Black. This is very important because we are dealing with Diodes (one way check valves), resistors, and other odd electronic do dads.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and perhaps you misunderstood what I have written above if everything looks good- slim put the information what it should be and I wrote either good or no resistance behind it-I did not have any numbers but the '3's to bat-a1,a2,a3 and for the m-a1, a2, a3 which was also 3's but I think slims idea was 10000 for the later and just Ω ∞ for the first thing I mentioned...I never erased his numbers...I just added the stuff on the end.

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
i can see you didn't erase my numbers (which aren't mine btw, but came straight out of the service manual). but I think you are missing the point. Good means it falls inside my specified parameters,but doesn't show me if its in the middle or to one end or the other of those parameters. As a scientist would say, your data is inconclusive.

10000= 1kOhm. hence I wrote 10000 for those using analog multimeter instead of a digital. if you are using a digital it would be 0.0X Ohms.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok here are two pictures of my tool that I am using when I say it is good it is cause it was all the way to the right like the one picture. The other picture is when it is turned off-but when it is all the way to the left it goes past the 'off' position and goes all the way to the left....I don't know how to explain it any better. Maybe I just don't know how to do this test thing...I thought I was doing two tests...was one with the engine on? I never turned it on.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh and I have no way of figuring out that small of a number. 0.34 and 0.52 wouldn't register on this thing I think. Too small of a number I think. IF I understand how this works-which I may not -just cause I own a tool doesn't mean I really know how to use it-(yes, I may be dangerous like that! hahaha)

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
you are using an analog meter as I thought. Infinity is all the way right. if the needle sweeps left then you have a problem, either you hooked the leads up backwards for the test, or something in the part tested is bad.
Also you said something about 3's, your MM is set up to read 1Kohm, so drop the zeros off of my suggested readings.

Yes you were supposed to do an engine running test on the Stator and battery, then again when the engine warms up to normal temperatures. Re-read my TS chart, it shows each step.

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
Oh and I have no way of figuring out that small of a number. 0.34 and 0.52 wouldn't register on this thing I think. Too small of a number I think. IF I understand how this works-which I may not -just cause I own a tool doesn't mean I really know how to use it-(yes, I may be dangerous like that! hahaha)
your mm will read 34 and 52, not .34 and .52. Your MM is automatically set to 1kOhm.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just re looked at the test on the scrib- I thought I copied it all and pasted it into word-but unfortunately I did it too much in a hurry. It did not paste correctly I can see-sorry. I will recopy and paste into word and see if I can get all the testing-it isn't letting me down load the information unless I pay a fee. This will have to wait for next weekend. I ran out of time this weekend. Ended up I had to work yesterday and that threw off all my plans to work on this...anyway thanks a million for the information and I will redo the tests next weekend hopefully. Then repost the results...I was in too big of a hurry today.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts