Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My VN750 always did everything fine, until yesterday. When I shut down my bike an wanted to start it again, I couldn't fire it up. With a second battery and after a trip, the same thing happened. The battery is not charging, leaving me with an empty battery when I turn of the bike.

I read several things about what could be wrong, but I need a step by step approach to find and resolve the problem. I have a multi meter and that is all I know about electrics. I hope I can get some help here. Be as clear and comprehensive as possible.

The regulator is replaced earlier, so if that is the problem it will be an easy fix.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
I do believe the steps are in the verses. And I know there is already a post on step by step testing. I'll look around. Google is the best way to search, even for this site.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, but I don't know anything about electrics :( ... so I don't understand all of these test methods. I think I will bring the bike to a repair shop. Hopefully they can repair it quickly, so I can ride again.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Thanks for the info, but I don't know anything about electrics :( ... so I don't understand all of these test methods. I think I will bring the bike to a repair shop. Hopefully they can repair it quickly, so I can ride again.
I didn't know anything about electronics once upon a time either, and then I learned what I needed. We can help. Just two probes and where to put them and what to set your meter on. Going to cost you hundreds to take to a stealer and then you still don't know anything about your bike. Or, future bikes! They're all the same.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok then. I added a picture of my multi meter. I want to check the stator first, as mentioned in a thread about testing the charging system (http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24093&highlight=battery+-charging).

Ok, the first thing that Has to Happen is your Stator needs to have the proper AC out put,Yes AC. Set your Meter to Ohms 1k or less.Find the bullet connectors coming from the Stator to the R/R.They are probably burned looking or nasty or both.
How do I set the meter?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found the three bullet connections, disconnected them and tried to get a reading from the multimeter set to 20k (it has no 1k or less...). The default reading on the display (without the leads attached to anything) is '1 .' (I don't know what this means). Then I connected the read lead to the three connections from the stator and with the black lead I touched several parts of the bike with no results other than '1 .' ... Does this mean the stator is in good shape?

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Set the meter to 200 ohms. The red lead to the wires, one at a time. The black (com) to the engine case. A reading of 1 means infinite. Stator not grounded.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So that is a good thing right? Now I will check the AC readings. Can someone explain step by step how to do this? The info provided in the thread mentioned earlier is straight forward, but I don't understand some of the specific words used.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Set your multi meter to volts ac.. V with a wavy line. I wrote up the chart with the red multi meter lead listed first in all the tests, A1 through A3 are all the stator output leads (just mark the the wires 1 2 and 3 for your own reference). Take the red lead and connect it to A1 and black lead to A2 record voltage readings, then fallow on to A1 to A3 and record readings... Then go to A2 to A3 and record readings.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I did the test and the readings are all between 40-70 (average about 53). When I connected the regulator and did 3000 or 4000 rpm, the voltage drops to 13.66 (or a bit more less) and is higher (about 14.11V) when I do not increase the rpm.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I don't understand this... On the forum they say it needs to be between 40-70 when testing the stator. All connections are within this region.

Btw...Today I did a test ride and all went well... The readings where as followed:

Bike running idle 14,25V and at 3000 rpm 14,00V (or a bit more). With lights on and idle was 12,51V and at 3000 rpm 14,05.

There was no backfire and I drove the bike like it was always before.

After the test ride I shut down the bike and can start it again without any problem! Battery seems to be charged. How is this possible?

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
When u disconnected the 3 stator leads and tested them and connected them back maybe the connection is better/cleaner/tighter than before...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts