Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to life reasons my bike has been parked for the past several years without being used. Since I am finally ready to get it on the road again I am finally doing the things I wanted to like ear shave, mosfet etc.. Since it has been parked the battery has been sitting on the bench hooked up to the Battery Tender.

Since it will be on the road in the next few weeks I have been thinking about my battery. What kind of years have you guys been getting out of your batteries? I would like to know if anyone has any real world experience with a battery that is past its lifespan has spent a prolonged time on the bench. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Wet cell or AGM battery?

I bought my AGM in November 2012, started using it May 2013.

My bike sat the past two years or more for similar reasons, and the tender died a long time ago. It's started right up all three times this summer.

I love AGM batteries, this one will be at least 9 yrs old next month. Never looked at the date code, it could be 10 yrs.

Still looking for a tender, but not a harbor freight. They last me about a year tops. A simple 12vdc 500 ma power pack will do.

If it's a wet cell, check the electrolyte, but more than three years is a lot for those.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
AGM batteries from Deka/East Penn last a very long time. Mine was out of the bike, on a trickle charger off and on, and it was still good more than 10 years later when it went into a four-wheeler. Prior to that, I bought a cheapo AGM battery that lasted 18 months before failing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought I included the part that it is an agm. A Duracell 15L with 220 CCA. I believe it is a 2015 according to my records. It doesn't seem to have a date on it and I am a little confused because I somehow ended up with 3 extra batteries, all agm and on the bench. (I thought I would have only 2.) Only 1 on the Battery Tender Jr. since I parked my bike though. My son replaced his battery with a new agm about 6 months ago and I traded in the old battery that came with my bike over 10 years ago. We have only used agm in our bikes (as per the Verses). We also each use a Battery Tender Jr. that drops off and really does kind of float around 13 volts.

Since I started working on my bike a couple of weeks ago I have been switching the Tender back and forth between the Duracell and a Deka that I have. They both seem to keep 12.72 and 12.68 volts when left off the Tender overnight. I also have a Yuasa agm but I know it is even older than the wet battery I traded off.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I thought I included the part that it is an agm. A Duracell 15L with 220 CCA. I believe it is a 2015 according to my records. It doesn't seem to have a date on it and I am a little confused because I somehow ended up with 3 extra batteries, all agm and on the bench. (I thought I would have only 2.) Only 1 on the Battery Tender Jr. since I parked my bike though. My son replaced his battery with a new agm about 6 months ago and I traded in the old battery that came with my bike over 10 years ago. We have only used agm in our bikes (as per the Verses). We also each use a Battery Tender Jr. that drops off and really does kind of float around 13 volts.

Since I started working on my bike a couple of weeks ago I have been switching the Tender back and forth between the Duracell and a Deka that I have. They both seem to keep 12.72 and 12.68 volts when left off the Tender overnight. I also have a Yuasa agm but I know it is even older than the wet battery I traded off.
I'd run those until they quit. That's good voltage for batteries a few... several years old.

I bought an AGM through Sears online when they were selling out, forget the brand right now, paid $35 shipped. Stuck it on an ATV that's been parked ever since and never on a tender. A few years old and starts like a new one.

They'll probably have to stop making the AGM, they last too long. The last wet cell I had lasted one season.

The date code, if there's no sticker, might be molded or stamped into the side of the case.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Batteries have gone up, like everything else. Bought an AGM Diehard from Advance last week, $128. Battery was for another ATV, original wet cell shot at five years old, which is about par for a juice battery.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
I agree, run what you have until they quit on you, the voltages you posted worst case show a battery that still has about 90% capacity. The AGM I have in my bike now hasn’t been on a tender yet and has sat through two winters so far outside. I nuked the one I had before that when my stator died on me, but that’s a different set of circumstances. When Covid forced everything to shut down my truck battery didn’t like sitting for weeks at a time so I also replaced that with an AGM

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
I didn't know Yuasa made an AGM for the Vulcan. They are as good as, or possibly better than, Deka batteries.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm originally from New England were vehicle batteries die on the coldest night of the year, its snowing, you're 50 miles from home and no one around has jumper cables. Every New England-ah has been there. My last VN750 battery (Yuasa AGM) died during its 7th year of service with no warning. The battery never gave an indication that it was failing and bike started just fine. I made it about 50 miles into the Columbia River Gorge (great ride), then stopped for a break. The battery was just about completely dead. Bumped started the bike and made it about 5 miles before the battery was dead to the point the bike would not run. AAA towed it back to my home. Not the way I planned to spend the day, riding in a tow truck instead of on the VN750.

I've always gotten 6 good years from a quality, well maintained battery. So, I replace my car and VN750 battery every 6 years, whether it needs it or not. I pushed the last bike battery past that and paid for it! I hand pick car batteries to get the one that was activated in the past week (Die Hard or Interstate) and buy the VN750 dry (Yuasa). I fill and charge the VN750 myself. I slap a date sticker on the battery and make a note in the maintenance log to replace it in 6 years. This means that I am never stranded due to a dead battery, can wait until batteries are on sale to save money and get them when I have time, not forced to take a day off of work because the car is dead.

·
Super Moderator
12,136 Posts
I’ll concur with the 6-7 year lifespan of a AGM. Some make it longer, some less. I’m also not sold on the idea of leaving the bikes battery on a charger when it’s not being rode. I believe it’s better to just hook it up to a charger every 4-5 weeks instead of all the time (like through the winter)
If you store your bike somewhere where it’s exposed to below freezing temperatures where you live, I do think you should bring the batter inside somewhere to maintain it.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
A maintainer is what you want if leaving it hooked up, an old school manual charger will just continuously charge.

There are units available now that are both chargers and maintainers, and have selections for three different types of batteries, AGM, wet, and gel. Smart chargers.

I read that a plain old 500ma power pack can be better for the AGM than an old school charger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts