Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well not really battery issues it's issues with me forgetting to turn the key off. Thank God someone gave me a push.

Is there a way to just power the starter when cranking and flip a switch to turn everything else on when the bike starts? Did anyone do this on their bike?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Well not really battery issues it's issues with me forgetting to turn the key off. Thank God someone gave me a push.

Is there a way to just power the starter when cranking and flip a switch to turn everything else on when the bike starts? Did anyone do this on their bike?
? ? ?

Why would anyone want to ?
With a functional Headlight delay Relay...nothing else sucks enough power which would need to be powered off for any starter power advantage.

:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
One thing I did with mine, was to install a positive battery lead right into the right side cover....that way no seat removal needed to jump.....once I get a decent cam, Im gonna take pics/writeup, etc.....but its a good thing to have on these bikes....cheap and easy too...

You can remove the right side cover, and with the key ON, jump right to the starter relay....unless yer actual ignition switch is bad, dont make sense to even do that...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
Before I got my agm I would carry a bfs (big fookin screwdriver) and a jumppack in the saddlebag

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Even with an AGM...its still nice to be able to attach a cupla clips from a tender or charger if needed.....

Picture this...yer out on yer own....stop to grab a burger and beer...go back out yer bike is almost dead....."anyone got a pair of jumper cables ?"...sure... a few chime in......"gimme 8 mins until I take my seat off".....that wont fly.....

I should start making a kit for it....I just hate making money off the obvious....but nowadays.....hmmmm....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
I take off the side cover and jump on the post on the solinoid that comes offa the battery and ground to the frame

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
....but how many are as fookin bright as you are bro, lol.....ya know ?...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
Your giving me too much credit.lol.just too Damn lazy to take off the seat.lol.even on Melissa that was easy too.when I had the pillion just two 13mm nuts and she's off in less than 3 minutes.when I took that off it was just 1

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
....still....$3 in hardware and wire, and no wrenches needed...ya know ?...KC seen it....an HD bolt, with some properly set up HD wire straight from the battery....triple insulated....I slip a piece of rubber tubing over the end to avoid "oppsies"....but its THERE....like Harleys were....the battery was on the side...accessible....this fookin bike ?....I had to make all of it "my own"....was just too much BS.....but.....was worth it.....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Even with an AGM...its still nice to be able to attach a cupla clips from a tender or charger if needed.....

Picture this...yer out on yer own....stop to grab a burger and beer...go back out yer bike is almost dead....."anyone got a pair of jumper cables ?"...sure... a few chime in......"gimme 8 mins until I take my seat off".....that wont fly.....

I should start making a kit for it....I just hate making money off the obvious....but nowadays.....hmmmm....
I've got a pair of Wing bolts holding my seat on. No wrench needed, just reach into the tool box and spin the bolts off. Its actually easier to get my seat off then to get the screw out holding in the side covers.

However, I've still got one of those tender cable quick connects sticking out from behind the side cover, and I keep a DIY set of jumper cables in my saddle bag.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
? ? ?

Why would anyone want to ?
With a functional Headlight delay Relay...nothing else sucks enough power which would need to be powered off for any starter power advantage.

I see your point. Still, Imagine you have a short somewhere on your bike or have added components which are draining the battery by always being 'live' before the key is turned. A meter on your battery would tell you you have a problem. I have an amp and speaker system which must be switched off (red toggle) after pulling the key. It's hard to imagine someone would leave their parking lights on (rear tail light vn 900) by pulling the key out in the wrong direction. Imagine getting up in the morning away from home and finding you battery dead.

Hey, these are all what ifs and yes, some are stupid but we are human...and we are definitely stupid at somethings on any given day.
Now, Imagine you had a way to shut everything down on the bike except a line which goes directly to the starter.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
see repost below

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Before I got my agm I would carry a bfs (big fookin screwdriver) and a jumppack in the saddlebag
HAHAHA, I did the same with my 1700 watt power station. I strpped it to my luggage rack. Nice idea with the AGM

One thing I did with mine, was to install a positive battery lead right into the right side cover....that way no seat removal needed to jump.....once I get a decent cam, Im gonna take pics/writeup, etc.....but its a good thing to have on these bikes....cheap and easy too...

You can remove the right side cover, and with the key ON, jump right to the starter relay....unless yer actual ignition switch is bad, dont make sense to even do that...
Woffie- I agree a place to hook up and jump.

Ok, I'd like to join both of your ideas. Doc, I would change the AGM to a new four cell lithium (detachable). I like the saddle bag idea but we would have to relocate on bikes which don't have them.

Wolfie- I would design a charge circuit to trickle charge the lithium (would only need trickle as nothing is connected to it. Lithiums take a special charger from what I understand so you might as well design that into the system) and the regular battery which could in a pinch be jumped from an external source if the lithium goes south over night for some unknown reason (highly unlikely)

The new small lithium batteries can be used to jump your bike.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/antigravity-batteries-micro-start-xp-1-jump-starter-and-personal-power-supply?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&gclid=CJiSl6OYtb0CFe99OgodmFUAeg

So, with your newly designed system we are running down the road as the old battery charges....O foook, my battery isn't recharging and the lights are going dim. NO PROGLEM- just flick a switch joined to the new circuit and all power runs from the very small Lithium battery until you arrive home safely.

·
4,508 Posts
....still....$3 in hardware and wire, and no wrenches needed...ya know ?...KC seen it....an HD bolt, with some properly set up HD wire straight from the battery....triple insulated....I slip a piece of rubber tubing over the end to avoid "oppsies"....but its THERE....like Harleys were....the battery was on the side...accessible....this fookin bike ?....I had to make all of it "my own"....was just too much BS.....but.....was worth it.....
A few years ago, I thought of doin' the same. Never got around to it.

Now, with an AGM, I feel no need.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Well Bil....you spend yer summers in warm climes...I dont....but sometimes theres a warmer day in winter that i can take Bessie Girl out....lot easier to just unhook the 2 leads and ride, than it is to reinstall a seat....dig ? ;)

·
4,508 Posts
Well Bil....you spend yer summers in warm climes...I dont....but sometimes theres a warmer day in winter that i can take Bessie Girl out....lot easier to just unhook the 2 leads and ride, than it is to reinstall a seat....dig ? ;)
Sure I dig, but AGM is best.... & MOVE SOUTH ! LOL Energy bill are much better overall.....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts