Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a brand new sealed AGM battery a couple of weeks ago. Bike started right up, but I haven't ridden it since. Well I checked it a couple days ago and the battery was completely dead. I figured there was a short in the bike somewhere. Any advice of where I should go from there?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
First thing I would check is the ground cable from the battery to the frame. Then I would check the positive cable and the ground cable from the battery box to the engine. A AGM battery has to be charged fully before installing in the bike. Don't believe otherwise. Your battery might not have been charged enough initially, up to at least 12.8 volts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I had a wet battery before the AGM and it was completely dried up. Which also led me to think there was a short somewhere.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Pull the fuses and stick an ammeter in series with the fuse and see what current draw might show up. If there is something draining the battery you will now have it narrowed down to one circuit.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
First thing I would check is the ground cable from the battery to the frame. Then I would check the positive cable and the ground cable from the battery box to the engine. A AGM battery has to be charged fully before installing in the bike. Don't believe otherwise. Your battery might not have been charged enough initially, up to at least 12.8 volts.
x2 ...... :smiley_th

:smiley_th

·
Registered
44 Posts
i the fall i replaced my old battery with a new one trickle charged over night bike ran great for a week or then hard starts all over, sat for a month went for one last ride and bike started to stall when coasting at low rpm so kept revs up a little by riding in lower gear pulled into my buddies sandy driveway letting the rpm dropand bike stalled. battery was completly dead. pulled battery today after sitting in garage for 2 month the battery was completley dried. so i think i'm gonna replace both the stator and r\r in the spring. lots of fun cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts