Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Battery Ground Wire Gauge

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Godfree 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
Really simple question, I tried searching but couldn't find it. Does anyone know what gauge the ground wire is going from the negative to the frame? My O ring connection broke last year and I had to cob job it to get it home so I want to properly fix it but add a slightly longer wire for some wiggle room. Is it worth upgrading this to a thicker wire? I actually have a '85 700 but essentially the same bike!

I may have more electrical problems, when the battery died and I tried to charge and then start her up there was some smoking coming from around the main wire loom as it struggled to turn over. Once I put in a new sealed agm battery and it didn't have to struggle to start I had no problems, but I don't know if the damage was done. Been having POOGs like symptoms but I took the vent apart and it was all clean looking so I'm a bit stumped. More on that when it warms up though.. just prepping some parts!
Thanks!

#2 ·
Just guessing here but a #6 or #8 maybe? The smoke and struggling to turn over sound like a poor connection or corrosion, perhaps with the negative cable in question. Not much help but its all I have right now. Good luck with it.

#4 ·
Thank you both! I'll look for the 6 awg. 8 looks a bit small. I'll probably take the wire off actually and just bring it with me.

Think the smoke is anything serious to worry about? Just want to get her back to running good so I don't have to worry about being stranded on a long ride :)

#5 ·
The smoking was because of the bad ground.was probably the wire to the fuel gauge sender.don't ask me how I know;)

#6 ·
I'll just chalk it up to experience! :) My fuel gauge is still working so I'm going to assume that one is fine for now.

Definitely going to re-ground that bad boy with a quality cable(and a non cob-jobbed end). Just need to figure out the POOGs-like symptoms this spring, and i'll be good to ride! :cool:

#7 ·
Was on a run last year and bike was together for about 2 weeks.would start but the wires for the sender kept smoking.pulled the wires off the sender and now it wouldn't turn over.went through and stripped harness and couldn't see nothing wrong,then saw the ground was broken.

#9 ·
@OleDirtyDoc - Making me wonder if that could be part of my POOGS like symptoms, maybe the connection isn't the best and causing it to be sputtery.

@kanuck69 - Thanks, but my original cable is actually fine, it was the O ring that broke on me. I figure I'll just use a slightly longer cable (the stock one has no wiggle room which is probably why it broke the eye ring) and a better eye connector. Can buy cable like that by the foot at my local hardware store cheaply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.