Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody here ever thought about installing a battery disconnect switch

Untitled.jpg

and if so what was the outcome and how did you do it.

I currently unplugg the battery terminal daily to avoid a drained battery overnight and i've been contemplating doing this.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Has anybody here ever thought about installing a battery disconnect switch

View attachment 4267

and if so what was the outcome and how did you do it.

I currently unplugg the battery terminal daily to avoid a drained battery overnight and i've been contemplating doing this.
Adding such a switch is band-aiding the real problem, ....put that labor time into troubleshooting the actual problem. Actual problem may also be @ little or no expense. Inspect & Clean _ALL_ connections, especially grounds !
Good Luck
WilliamTech
:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I agree. You have a problem, and you need to track down whatever is draining your battery. Installing a disconnect switch can be done, but would not be easy. It would have to be one whopper of a switch to handle all that current.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
You could put a battery switch in, but I agree your better off finding the problem. There are several wires that are "hot" with the key off. There is the wire that goes to the starter sol., the JB, the white wire on the R/R, and the neck area where the white wire goes up to the ing. switch. (My white wire shorted out here)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I had a disconnect switch on my last Harley. Mostly as a security thing as it didnt have any steering lock or nuthin. Picked one up for $7 at a CAT dealer. Also strapped an empty .38 holster to it, that was the other security item. Oh, and an 1 1/2" hardened chain and lock (we all had them ;).
On the Vulcan, would be an easy install between the starter relay and battery. Wish I had one on it. Due to illnesses and winter, my bike has sometimes sat for as long as 3 weeks w/o starting. It still started, but bat was obviously a bit weaker (no heat in garage).
The other guys are right, you should solve the draining prob as well, but its not a bad "option" to have when you need it. I have one on my 94 K-Blazer too, because it sits for months at times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts