Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone could help? I have an 86 Vulcan 750 with 29,000 miles on it, I'm not too mechanically inclined so you're talking with a rookie here. But after I seen what they were going to charge just to check it I said let me get some help and go for it myself. I bought her the end of last year and really haven't done much to her except the basics for a tune-up.

The problem is I start the bike and watch the voltage on the battery and she starts out with 12.7. When I start her within 10 minutes of idling she drops to 10.9 and dies out. I'll try to restart it and nothing she just clicks at me, so then I have to recharge the battery. I just replaced the battery with a Yuasa 14AHL-BS AGM battery in January, I already purchased a Clymer's manual, still trying to figure that out.

Any ideas what it could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
You have a charging system problem. Either a stator, rectifier/regulator, or both. Read up in the Vulcan Versus about how to troubleshoot this. (http://www.vn750.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)

Let us know what you find out or what questions you have.

Jon

·
Registered
401 Posts
X2 what 93VN750 posted.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Yep, agreed about the charging system problem, but 10 minutes? I'd say you also have a bad battery as well. There is quite a bit of information on here about how to check the charging system, but I don't remember it, because I've never needed to check mine. I hope it is not the stator, because that means pulling the engine. Jerry.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
You should have a battery terminal voltage of ~14.5 vdc at 4 to 5,000 rpm. Check it and see what you get, then get back to us. Could be reg/rectifier or stator if voltage is lower than specified.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts