Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

battery dies after 2 days

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  flitecontrol 
#1 ·
Had a bad stator & rectifier. Replaced both. Now the battery reads 13.5 at 2500 rpm and 14.2 at 5000 rpm. However after riding for a couple of days battery is flat. Bike sputters when hot, stalls out and won't turn over.

Old bad rectifier was throwing 19 volts, so I replaced it.

Did I fry the battery (Ysusa MF)? Otherwise, any ideas as to my problem?

The bike is a 2005 with about 30,000 miles.

#2 ·
It sounds like your charging system is working fine. The battery may have a dead cell and will not hold a charge. Take it to have it tested before getting a new one though. Also check all the connections and ground cables to make sure they are tight.

#4 ·
How old is the battery btw?

#5 ·
Battery was new in early May, however I think someone boosted the bike from a car and not sure if the car was running as I wasn't present.

Battery is still under warranty (6 months Yuasa). I am going to have it load tested at Napa and see what it turn out to be.

#7 ·
No problem. Have you done a voltage test to see what the volts are at the battery with the bike running? It should be 13.8+/- at idle 1100rpm and 14.8+/- at 4000+/- rpm. If the battery is fully charged don't be alarmed if the voltage drops a bit where the r/r doesn't need to put out as much volts.

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.