Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
wicker san antonio
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My 02 750 w 29000 miles has following ailment. After 4-5 stops it will not crank...like a dead battery. I installed new battery and on the first ride it failed to start on the fourth stop..it starts right up with a jump start. Put charger on overnight. I have started it 6 times in the last hour with no problem.
I am beginning to suspicion the starter..
Suggestions please.

The charging system checks out okay according my tester and the repair shop I use.
Thanks,
Wicker, San Antonio

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
When the bike is running....test the battery voltage with a voltmeter. At idle it should be around 13volts...maybe less. Rev the engine to about 4K and the voltage should go to about 14 volts....maybe more.

if that is not the case, then your charging system is not working properly.

Here is also a nice write up Denny did to test the whole charging system:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24093

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Before you freek out & assume your charging system is not functioning properly, let me ask this.

What type of battery did you put in it?
Wet Cell (Old Style) or Gel Cell? (New)
It have been proven here time & time again, the old wet cell batteries, even new, just don't hold up on this bike.

If you did replace the battery with a gel, then move on to testing the charging system.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Just to add to what kanuck69 posted...
Go through all your ground points and make sure they are clean and getting good contact to the frame and engine.
This is also a known weak point that needs to be maintained for good starts and proper firing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts