Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two amp trickle charger on my regular battery charger If I use this to charge my battery will it hurt it??I dont have a battery tender but will get one if you folks suggest.:baby:

·
Geek
872 Posts
I have battery tender jr. Whats important is that it automatically adjusts the current. As the battery charges, the current reduces.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
does it adjust the charge rate? that is what you really need. once the battery is charged there should be a trickle mode that is around .5 amps. otherwise you may overcharge it...

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The charger does have a meter on it that starts out high when its first turned on then drops down low as the battery charges so I guess it does adjust the charge rate.Thanks I am going to use it and just keep an eye on it for a few hours.

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
If it adjusts it's rate, then you should be ok, but I wouldn't leave that charger connected all the time the way you can with the Battery Tender types. Like Hizzo said above, a trickle is about 0.5 A, certainly not 2.0.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Even if it doesn't adjust the rate, you will be ok, as long as it shuts off when it is charged and doesn't over charge the battery. I wouldn't leave it on for long periods of time like I would a battery tender, but for a once in a while thing, you would be fine to use that charger, again as long as it shuts off when it senses the battery is fully charged.

--Steven
96 PC800
03 VN750

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think the Battery Tender is a great investment. I use mine regularly and got seven years out of my last battery. I attribute that to the Battery Tender. Before I got a Tender I was going through batteries about once every year or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts