Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!
I would like to introduce myself and to ask a few questions!
my name is Kostamos Yiacoumis, drummer from Greece, current living in Austin TX for about 8 years now.
After working for a little bit at a Harley dealership and of course seeing everywhere (and riding)Harleys, I wanted so much to get one…..but oh well…two months ago I got a bad ass VN 750 (2006) with only 5000 miles on it!! My first actually bike to own.
I worked a lot on it on a few basic things and I learned a tone more!!
I need to tell you that this forum has helped me so much!! And I want to thank you very much for that!!

So, to the point……
after having some issues with the old battery and after shutting down 2 miles from home, I replaced it 15-20 days ago with a brand new.
I had purchased already a small/cheap plug in charger to recharge the old one…but wouldn't last even for testing things on the bike.
So, I had the new one, firing up right away, no problems, going Greta for 2-3 times that I tested the bike on a short distance.
Last week, I went to a bar 30 minutes away from home. No problems on the ride…. But 1 hour after I got there, the bike wouldn’t start…!!!
we pushed and turned on….then died again… then we jumped it with cables and turned on, so I took her home carefully!!!
After reading a lot in here and in genera, I decided to do the tests on the wires and battery.
Yesterday, I didn’t really know what I was doing…I had a weird tester..and I was sad and mad that I probably have to replace the stator.
BUT TODAY,
I actually unplugged the harness of the R/R (I didn’t do yesterday ) and I started the tests.

w/ bike off:
STATOR YELLOW leads between them I got reading from 00,3 to 00,5… and sometimes up and down to 00,6 ohm
STATOR leads and chassis i got everything O,L. (is that the infinite you were saying ?..)

on the 6 plug of the R/R (unplugged) I got:
- B and +M = O,L
-B and +G = 2,641…
-B and A1,2,3 leads , from 1,601 to 1,699….

-M and +B , -M and +G, -M and A1,2,3… all came up O,L.

-G and +B, …+M, …+A… all again the same O,L.

-A1,2,3…and +B =O,L.
-A….and + M =O,L.
-A…and +G = 1,559…

all A between them , O,L.

For the Battery, knowing that wasn’t 100% charged (from the plug in charger), I got readings

bike off = DCV 12,65v
bike on = DCV 12,34v

giving gas/throttle:
without the R/R connected =12,25v.. no rise of course
with the R/R connected =12,27v….with a rise to 12,61v on about 3000/4000 rpm.

I checked for loose wires, doesn’t seem like it.
So………….
do I have a fried R/R ?…..which I prefer to have..
or The stator giving up?.. …which I hate even thinking of it..

Thank you all so much in advance and I am sorry for the huge message!,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stator numbers look good, but you need to see what the AC voltage output is, with the stator disconnected. Looking for 20-50 volts AC.

I'll need to review the RR test in the manual.
Good morning and thank you very much for replying. Yes I will do that today.
on the R/R tests, I have black tester lead where is -. And the red where is +.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stator numbers look good, but you need to see what the AC voltage output is, with the stator disconnected. Looking for 20-50 volts AC.

I'll need to review the RR test in the manual.
ok! So I did test the stator.
I got from 18.50 to 19.00 on idle between the three wires. but when I crank up on 4000-5000 rpm,
2 of the wires were close enough 52-55
But one was giving me only about 27(ish)….!
is that something that it’s kinda normal or they all have to be closer to 50?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To that point, with my (way)limited knowledge of these problems, looks like the Regulator is bad..! I hope that this one measurement of about 30ACV now(I did again) it’s not a big issue. But if it is, is there something else I can do or I need a stator?

Also,
what do you think about the MOSFET R/R? I really don’t want to spend much more money, but I read everywhere that this is the right part to go with.
I was thinking maybe a used KAWASAKI OEM, or something else, but I read here that they all die soon.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
If I understand.... It looks like one leg of the stator is low on output when the rpm is higher.

It's a good idea to run the tests both cold and hot because sometimes the problem is worse when it's good and hot. The low leg could be dropping after it warms up.

The MOSFET is a good replacement, no complaints on mine. The MOSFET RR bypasses the factory RR wiring, which is a huge bonus.

Have you checked the charging voltage, hot and cold?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I understand.... It looks like one leg of the stator is low on output when the rpm is higher.

It's a good idea to run the tests both cold and hot because sometimes the problem is worse when it's good and hot. The low leg could be dropping after it warms up.

The MOSFET is a good replacement, no complaints on mine. The MOSFET RR bypasses the factory RR wiring, which is a huge bonus.

Have you checked the charging voltage, hot and cold?

Yes, that’s what is happening!!
the only time I check the bike, was cold in the garage.
the second time I tested the output it was slightly warmer after the fist test. I just pulled out the R/R to measure and make sure… what a pain in the ass location!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well…….my worst nightmare it’s probably real.
I received today the MOSFET R/R. I did all the connections good, installed it etc. and when I turned on the bike, wasn’t charging either…!!!
I am very tired and disappointed, I really didn’t want to be a bad stator too.
I emailed Jack Flemming (mosfet) and asked him his opinion on this. As I said here, I just replaced the battery …and he things that is the stator. That short leg was still an issue. The output V numbers were slightly lower this time after the bike was running for about 4-5 minutes, but kinda close. Again..the one wire shorter.
So…..I will have to buy another stator I guess. The question is, can I get a cheap one I see online, closer to $50?? Or I have to get the expensive ones?
I was thinking that having a great R/R now, can help. Also any tips about replacing the stator, would be great. I really didn’t want to do this process…

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I just tilted the engine when I did mine. Left the bevel gear on, throttle cables and all left in place. The job involved a floor jack and two or three ratchet straps.

Did it twice in two days because I installed the balance weight backward. Lol ... Replaced the damper bushings while I was doing the stator.

A few here have used Rick's, Electrosport, Caltric, etc from eBay.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just tilted the engine when I did mine. Left the bevel gear on, throttle cables and all left in place. The job involved a floor jack and two or three ratchet straps.

Did it twice in two days because I installed the balance weight backward. Lol ... Replaced the damper bushings while I was doing the stator.

A few here have used Rick's, Electrosport, Caltric, etc from eBay.
We’ll I found a few online. Jack recommend Rick’s and Electrosport. I found the electrosport with $93, one year warranty and the best reviews…!! Caltric is half this price though!! What did you put?
and also please, any other info on what you did will help! I have no idea how to…checking videos etc. I know only for sure, I don’t want to cut it down. I better spend more time and do it right.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
We’ll I found a few online. Jack recommend Rick’s and Electrosport. I found the electrosport with $93, one year warranty and the best reviews…!! Caltric is half this price though!! What did you put?
and also please, any other info on what you did will help! I have no idea how to…checking videos etc. I know only for sure, I don’t want to cut it down. I better spend more time and do it right.
Had my stator re-wound by TPE, but he retired. There are some companies still doing rewinds, but they're a bit more expensive these days.

There's a thread with some pics about the engine tilt, I'd have to read it just to jog my memory on what I did, 2014 is when I did the work. Also left both exhaust manifolds in place. Did the earshave at the same time so the airbox was out of the way.

Roach's videos on youtube are a good source, his page is under Andrew Roth.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had my stator re-wound by TPE, but he retired. There are some companies still doing rewinds, but they're a bit more expensive these days.

There's a thread with some pics about the engine tilt, I'd have to read it just to jog my memory on what I did, 2014 is when I did the work. Also left both exhaust manifolds in place. Did the earshave at the same time so the airbox was out of the way.

Roach's videos on youtube are a good source, his page is under Andrew Roth.
great!! Thank you so much!! I will look for it!!

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
great!! Thank you so much!! I will look for it!!

There's mine, but do the search because there's some older threads that could be better. I searched engine tilt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

There's mine, but do the search because there's some older threads that could be better. I searched engine tilt.
Wonderful!! Thank you!
for what is worth I am gonna post the pics of the cheap bracket I made for the R/R and the relocation

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Hey, another problem spot for the stator wires, where they run under the clutch release lever on the side of the engine.

Mine had a hole chewed into the insulation, so I re-routed it up over the transmission.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts